iControl Networks Launches Mass Market Energy Management Solution for Broadband Providers and Utilities
Low-Cost Platform Empowers Consumers to Save on Energy Costs and Be More Environmentally Friendly
PALO ALTO, Calif., Nov. 10 /PRNewswire/ -- iControl Networks, a leader in broadband home management, today launched ConnectedLife Energy Management. The solution enables broadband companies and other service providers to enhance interactive service offerings for a complete broadband home management experience. Additionally, it allows utilities to implement demand response and energy efficiency services to control peak energy usage, optimize existing infrastructure and minimize future investment.
An extension of iControl's existing ConnectedLife broadband home management suite, iControl's low-cost energy management solution provides enhanced functionality for its partners. Current partners in the home security, broadband and telecommunications industries will deploy the technology to the mass market in 2010. With this solution, consumers will be able to monitor, control and automate their energy usage, and maximize efficiency to meet their monthly expenditure and "green home" carbon footprint goals.
"iControl ConnectedLife takes energy management beyond the smart meter by providing utilities direct access into the home, and enabling broadband providers to offer a high-demand service to their customers," said Reza Raji, chief strategy officer for iControl. "Combined with simple, easy to use consumer interfaces, ConnectedLife Energy Management delivers an optimal broadband home management experience."
Service Provider Solution
ConnectedLife Energy Management for Service Providers is available for broadband, telecommunications and home security companies to offer as a standalone service or layered with interactive home security offerings to complete the broadband home management platform. The solution offers consumers the following:
- Monitored energy usage in real time to track and compare daily, weekly and monthly trends to pre-set energy usage goals
- Remote management and control of devices (e.g. thermostats) from the web, iPhone or other mobile phone
- Automation of home tools - for example, using smart thermostat configurations to minimize use of high-energy consuming devices such as heating or AC units
- Cost savings - the average energy bill can be reduced by a minimum of $10 to $20 per month
ConnectedLife Energy Management for Utilities offers a low-cost solution to meet high energy demand. The solution is driven by an in-home, industry accepted, ZigBee-based gateway that wirelessly communicates with two-way smart meters and controls thermostats, lights, appliances and more. It leverages existing advanced metering infrastructure systems for real-time metering information, pricing signals, and utility command and control messages. With the solution, utilities can allow consumers access to manage their energy usage via an intuitive web portal, in-home touch screen, iPhone and other mobile phone interfaces. ConnectedLife Energy Management provides:
- Monitored energy usage, including real-time viewing of kilowatts used and dollars spent
- Simple control with a widget-based touch screen panel to control key energy-consuming items such as HVAC, lighting and more
- Automation of the system to meet energy conservation goals
- Advanced demand response for utilities to communicate with the smart meter and control peak usage at the household level (with consumer consent)
- Integration with presence-based rules that allow flexible energy savings consistent with consumer behavior
- Low-cost peripherals, including wireless thermostats, lighting modules and more
"iControl offers a compelling value proposition for broadband service providers, utilities and home security firms with its ability to link energy management with its other broadband home management capabilities," said Bill Ablondi, director, home systems research for Parks Associates. "Our research shows that a majority of consumers are interested in, and willing to pay for, a system that helps them monitor and control energy consumption."
As recently announced, Letha McLaren, Vice President of Energy Products for iControl and formally from Landis+Gyr, will be leading iControl's energy management business.
About iControl Networks
Palo Alto-based iControl Networks is a venture-backed software and services company providing award-winning solutions defining the broadband home management market. iControl Networks partners with home security companies, broadband operators, utilities and telecommunication firms to deliver iControl ConnectedLife, the next generation of home management, security and connectivity. Investors in iControl include ADT, Charles River Ventures, Cisco, Comcast Interactive Capital, GE Security, Intel Capital and the Kleiner Perkins Caufield and Byers iFund. For more information, please visit www.icontrol.com.
SOURCE iControl Networks
More by this Source
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.