CHICAGO, Oct. 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Andrew Metter, FAIA, Principal Design Architect, Epstein|Metter Studio was recognized at the American Institute of Architects (AIA) 2013 Design Excellence Awards for winning the Honor Level SustainABILITY Leadership Award for his innovative design of Ignite Glass Studios. Ignite is a state-of-the-art glass studio, gallery, and unique event space in the heart of the West Loop, which combines professional grade glass blowing with exposure to the amazing art of glass blowing for beginners and those seeking new experiences.
The award was accepted by Ignite Creative Director Ben Tullman, Glen Tullman, and Mr. Metter during Chicago's 58th Annual Design Excellence Awards on October 25, at Navy Pier.
Ignite commissioned Epstein|Metter Studio to create its glass-blowing artist studios, event space, urban sculpture garden, and gallery in 2011. The studios were designed to expose the public to the craft and the art of glassblowing. The entire space was developed with the notion of sustainable stewardship in mind.
"It takes real talent to design a venue that combines a working studio for glass artists seeking to create signature works, with a space that accommodates students wishing to learn about the glass arts, people looking for a fun experience and event planners looking for the next cool venue," said Glen Tullman, one of the owners of Ignite and Managing Partner of 7wire Ventures. "Andy, with support from the team at Epstein and the construction team of Graycor Construction and Development Management Associates, created not only a special multi-purpose venue, but also one that sets a new standard in Chicago for the sustainable repurposing of existing industrial buildings. We congratulate him on this tremendous achievement."
Metter employed the following sustainable architectural strategies in his design of Ignite Glass Studios:
- Rejuvenate existing urban industrial neighborhood
- Re-purpose existing building through selective demolition
- Minimize new structure by providing simple new industrial shed structure for event space
- Recycle demolition rubble to create a new elevated sculpture garden
- Plan adjacencies to promote the utilization of radiant heat from Ignite's hot shop to help heat the event space
- Orient event space garden glass wall to reduce solar heat gain
- Install new glass garden wall, with a series of operable doors for natural ventilation of hot shop and event space
- Reduce urban heat-island effect by replacing asphalt parking lot with a new garden
- Provide infrastructure for future solar panel system
Ignite Glass Studios is a state-of-the-art glass studio, gallery, and event space. Ignite offers a wide range of hands-on glassblowing classes in a welcoming, educationally-focused space located in Chicago's West Loop.
Next Level Everything, Inc.
SOURCE Ignite Glass Studios