IIROC Releases Annual Report for 2012-2013
TORONTO, Sept. 4, 2013 /CNW/ - The Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) has released its 2012-13 Annual Report which highlights its progress in: protecting investors; enhancing compliance and effective risk management; and fostering fair, efficient and competitive capital markets.
"Our Annual Report outlines our focus on maintaining a competitive landscape for compliant firms of diverse sizes and business models, promoting consistent standards of investor protection and allowing an appropriate degree of flexibility in regulatory approach and implementation," said IIROC President and CEO Susan Wolburgh Jenah.
Some of the highlights include:
- IIROC's comprehensive three-part study designed to shed light on high frequency trading activity in the Canadian equity markets;
- Our proposal to enable timely surveillance and enhanced regulatory oversight of Canadian debt market activity;
- Ongoing work with IIROC-regulated firms to successfully implement the Client Relationship Model (CRM) reforms to strengthen the client-advisor relationship;
- Our fully integrated and risk-based approach to compliance examinations to be more streamlined and effective;
- Continued active engagement with other regulators and self-regulatory organizations in order to influence the standard-setting process and maintain consistency in principle with global standards.
IIROC is the national self-regulatory organization which oversees all investment dealers and trading activity on debt and equity marketplaces in Canada. Created in 2008 through the consolidation of the Investment Dealers Association of Canada and Market Regulation Services Inc., IIROC sets high quality regulatory and investment industry standards, protects investors and strengthens market integrity while maintaining efficient and competitive capital markets.
IIROC carries out its regulatory responsibilities through setting and enforcing rules regarding the proficiency, business and financial conduct of dealer firms and their registered employees and through setting and enforcing market integrity rules regarding trading activity on Canadian equity marketplaces.
SOURCE Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) - General News
More by this Source
Enforcement Notice - IN THE MATTER OF Wayne Chiu - Settlement Accepted
Dec 06, 2013, 11:30 ET
Enforcement Notice - IN THE MATTER OF Nicola Carolyn More - Discipline Hearing
Dec 06, 2013, 11:08 ET
Enforcement Notice - IN THE MATTER OF Afam Elue - Discipline Hearing
Dec 05, 2013, 11:01 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.