IKEA Canada gets a 'High Five' for its Sustainability Initiatives
IKEA Canada recognized as One of Canada's Greenest Employers for the 5th time
BURLINGTON, ON, April 22, 2013 /CNW/ - High fives all around for IKEA Canada as they are named as one of Canada's Greenest Employers for the fifth consecutive year by Mediacorp. This special designation recognizes employers that lead the nation in creating a culture of environmental awareness in their organization.
"We take great pride in being recognized as one of Canada's Greenest Employers as this acknowledgment helps us attract leaders that share similar values to our own," says Kerri Molinaro, President of IKEA Canada. "Our co-workers play an important role in working towards our sustainability vision; it is through their commitment and energy that we are able to realize our goals."
Some of the initiatives that identify IKEA as one of Canada's Greenest Employers include:
- IWAY - IKEA's supplier code of conduct that specifies minimum requirements we place on suppliers
- Celebrating IKEA's commitment to transforming its entire lighting range to LED by 2016, by giving all IKEA co-workers across the globe an LED bulb to use at home to replace a less efficient bulb.
- IKEA suppliers, distribution centres and stores across the globe began working with paper pallets that have significantly better solutions for transporting and merchandising goods.
- IKEA's three newest Canadian stores are 40 per cent more efficient than stores built in the early 2000s. These stores incorporate many sustainable and environmental features such as geothermal and other high efficiency systems for heating and cooling as well as monitoring systems that significantly reduce energy consumption.
- Solar panel installations in three Toronto stores that support our effort towards becoming energy and resource independent.
- International partnerships with UNICEF, Save the Children and WWF and long-standing national partnerships with Tree Canada and Make-A-Wish Canada®.
This award comes on the heels of IKEA's new sustainability strategy, People & Planet Positive that outlines some demanding goals for IKEA to reach by 2020. The focus of People & Planet is to create a more sustainable life at home by creating affordable products that enable customers to use less energy and water and reduce waste; becoming resource and energy independent; and creating a better life for people and communities.
To read more on Mediacorp's editorial selection of IKEA in their 2013 Greenest Employer list, visit www.eluta.ca/green-at-ikea-canada.
IKEA is a leading home furnishings retailer with 338 stores in 40 countries worldwide, which are visited by 776 million people every year. IKEA Canada has 12 stores which are visited by over 25 million people every year. Last year the IKEA.com websites attracted 1.1 billion visitors. Founded in 1943, IKEA's business philosophy is to offer a wide range of products of good design and function at prices so low, the majority of people can afford them. For more information on IKEA, please visit: www.IKEA.ca.
SOURCE IKEA Canada
More by this Source
IKEA Sustainability Report Shows Progress in the Past Year
Feb 10, 2014, 07:02 ET
IKEA Shines a Light for Families in Refugee Camps
Jan 29, 2014, 07:00 ET
Haute Design by IKEA Wins Gold at 2014 Interior Design Show
Jan 27, 2014, 15:18 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.