DALLAS, Feb. 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced the industry's fastest 12-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC). The RF-sampling ADC12J4000 clocks in at 4 GSPS and supports the JEDEC JESD204B serial interface standard for data converters up to 8 Gbps, while consuming 50 percent less power than competitive devices. Measuring 9-mm by 9-mm, it is also the smallest IC in its class. The ADC12J4000 can be used in test and measurement, wireless, and defense applications, such as spectrum analyzers, munitions, digital pre-distortion feedback and radar. For more information about the ADC12J4000 and to learn more about TI's growing JESD204B portfolio, visit www.ti.com/adc12j4000-pr.
The ADC12J4000 combines TI's existing giga-sample ADC intellectual property (IP) with low-power digital processing blocks that provide digital filtering and down conversion. This enables system designers to sample a large block of frequency spectrum at RF and down convert it to quadrature in the digital domain, which can reduce signal distortion. And because the ADC12J4000 utilizes the JESD204B serial interface standard, it can output data on 1 to 8 lanes, depending on the decimation and link rate settings, while simplifying layout.
- Wideband sampling: Provides RF sampling capabilities with more than 3-GHz input bandwidth.
- Lowest power consumption: Consumes only 1.9 W of power, 50 percent less than competitive devices.
- Unique multi-band summation: Can perform some of the external signal conditioning typically handled by the FPGA at a total decimation at 4/8/10/16/20/32x. This provides attenuation of approximately 80-dB at 80 percent bandwidth, 44 dB at 85 percent and 24 dB at 90 percent, enabling system designers to filter higher frequency signals to lower data rates for their applications.
- Flexible signal bandwidth: Provides a low-noise power ratio of 48.5 dB and noise floor of -149 dBFS/Hz, along with high linearity for signals up to and beyond intermediate frequencies of 3 GHz. These features enable system designs to sample at higher frequencies.
- RF-sampling analog front-end: The pin-compatible, 4-GSPS, ultra-wideband, RF-sampling LM15851 analog front end (AFE) is export license free.
Tools and support to speed design An evaluation module (EVM) is available to quickly evaluate the performance of the new ADC. The ADC12J4000EVM can be purchased for US$1,999. The LM15851EVM is also available for US$1,999.
System designers can pair the ADC12J4000EVM, which includes the LMK04828 JESD204B clock jitter cleaner and LMX2581 ultra-low noise, wideband frequency synthesizer with the TSW14J56EVM JESD204B solutions platform to fully evaluate the performance of the ADC12J4000. When used together, the ADC12J4000EVM and TSW14J56EVM can analyze complex and modulated signals, which can then be analyzed with TI's easy-to-use High Speed Data Converter Pro software.
TI also offers a variety of free tools and support to speed development with the ADC12J4000, including an IBIS model to verify board signal integrity requirements and an Op Amp to ADC Circuit Topology Calculator for anti-aliasing filter design and circuit topology.
Support is available on the High Speed Data Converters Forum in the TI E2ETM Community, where engineers can search for solutions, get help, share knowledge and solve problems with fellow engineers and TI experts.
Package and pricing The ADC12J4000 is available now in a 68-pin, 9-mm by 9-mm QFN package that supports the industrial ambient temperature range of -40C to +85C. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for pricing.
Learn more about TI's data converter portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Download the ADC12J4000, LM15851, ADC12J2700 and ADC12J1600 data sheets.
- Buy the ADC12J4000EVM or LM15851EVM from the TI eStore.
- Request samples of the ADC12J4000 or LM15851.
- Read a short blog post on the key advantages JESD204B offers over LVDS.
- Watch a video demonstration on how to sample and decimate RF frequencies with the ADC12J4000.
- Search for JESD204B technical articles from TI experts.
About Texas Instruments Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
Trademarks TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments