SAN JOSE, Calif., May 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) today announced that it is now shipping the MAX11156, the industry's smallest 12-pin, 18-bit successive approximation register (SAR) analog-to-digital converter (ADC). Available in a tiny 3mm x 3mm TDFN package, the MAX11156 integrates an internal reference and reference buffer, saving cost and at least 70% board space over competing solutions. With 18-bit resolution, this high-performance ADC features Beyond-the-Rails™ technology, which supports a +5V input from a single positive 5V input rail. This technology eliminates the need for negative power supplies and simplifies designs. With 18-bit resolution and a 500ksps sampling rate, the MAX11156 is ideal for automatic test equipment (ATE), industrial control systems, medical instrumentation, and robotics, where high accuracy and tiny size are paramount.
Due to its monotonic transfer characteristic, fast settling time, and lack of latency, the MAX11156 is ideal for fast, high-precision digital control-loop systems. In fact, the MAX11156 provides 18-bit resolution with no missing codes; excellent DC accuracy (0.5 LSB DNL and 2.5 LSB INL (typ)); and excellent AC performance (94.6dB SNR and -105dB THD (typ)). Additionally, the MAX11156 communicates using a SPI-compatible serial interface, which can be used to daisy-chain multiple ADCs in parallel for multichannel applications. This interface can also provide a busy indicator to simplify system synchronization and timing.
- Reduced board space: industry's smallest 18-bit SAR ADC integrates a reference buffer and internal reference, which saves cost and simplifies designs
- Improved performance: the 18-bit performance produces 94.6dB SNR, -105dB THD (typ), and guarantees no missing codes
- Bipolar input range: measures a +5V (10VP-P) input range while operating from a single 5V supply; simplifies external signal conditioning
- "The MAX11156 18-bit SAR ADC offers excellent accuracy and high integration in a tiny package," said Carmelo Morello, Senior Business Manager at Maxim Integrated. "Its release showcases our dedication to highly integrated SAR ADCs, 16 bits and up."
- "Eighteen-bit ADCs are meeting the need for increased precision in industrial and medical applications," said Colin Barnden, Principal Analyst at Semicast. "This allows these systems to improve diagnostic capability."
Availability and Pricing
- Available in a 12-pin TDFN package (3mm x 3mm).
- Pricing starts at $16.90 (1000-up, FOB USA).
Beyond-the-Rails is a trademark of Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.
About Maxim Integrated At Maxim Integrated, we put analog together in a way that sets our customers apart. In Fiscal 2012, we reported revenues of $2.4 billion.
SOURCE Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.