DALLAS, Dec. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced a new interface IC that provides a MIPI® DSI bridge between the graphics processor and embedded DisplayPort (eDP) panel. It supports the industry's highest screen resolution up to 4K2Kp60 for tablets, clamshell notebooks and all-in-one PCs. Compared to competitive devices, the SN65DSI86's 1.5-Gbps DSI data rate delivers more than 30 percent higher bandwidth. In addition, its dual MIPI DSI channels in a 20-percent smaller, 5-mm by 5-mm package saves PCB area, providing system designers greater design flexibility for space-constrained mobile applications. For more information and to order samples, visit www.ti.com/sn65dsi86-pr.
See the SN65DSI86 demonstrated at the TI Village in the North Hall Meeting Rooms at CES 2014.
Key features and benefits of the SN65DSI86:
- Optimized MIPI DSI bridge to eDP: Supports LCD panels up to 4096 by 2160p with 18 bits per pixel (bpp) at 60 frames per second (fps), and 1920 by 1200 WXUGA 3D resolution (24 bpp) at 120 fps with odd/even or left/right configurations. This gives system designers the flexibility to support a variety of different panels and resolutions.
- Higher DSI frequency/bandwidth: Dual-channel, four MIPI DSI lanes support 1.5 Gbps, offering a maximum input bandwidth of 12 Gbps for the highest data throughput performance compared to competitive solutions. Compatibility with eDP version 1.4 supports seven data rates up to 5.4 Gbps HBR2, which allows system designers to use fewer wire and board traces between the device and LCD panel.
- Ultra-low power: Power consumption of less than 200-mW active, 30-mW suspend power and 3-mW shutdown extends system battery life.
- Advanced signal conditioning: Combination of receive equalization, selectable transmitter de-emphasis and output swing enables flexible component location, and allows for longer traces between the graphics processor and SN65DSI86, as well as longer cables from the bridge chip to LCD panel.
The SN65DSI86 works with the SN75DP130 DisplayPort re-driver, and is part of a pin-compatible family of MIPI DSI bridge chips that allow designers to select the right bridge for the resolutions they need. They are an extension of TI's popular FlatLink serial interface portfolio, which reduces the number of signal lines used for synchronous parallel data bus structures with no loss in data throughput. TI's display interface portfolio addresses display panels in all shapes and sizes. Flatlink interface ICs manage short-haul links for mobile devices and products with small displays, while FPD-Link SerDes chipsets support long, robust links in automobiles.
Support is available on the Interface Forum in the TI E2E™ Community, where engineers can search for solutions, get help, share knowledge and solve problems with fellow engineers and TI experts.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The SN65DSI86 is available today in a 5-mm by 5-mm, 64-ball PBGA package. Suggested retail pricing is US$5.61 in 1,000-unit quantities.
TI analog for consumer electronics
TI's broad range of power management and analog signal chain products offers design engineers the high performance, low power and integration they need to create innovative and differentiated consumer electronics. TI is engineering the future with gesture recognition, touch feedback, energy harvesting, wireless power, audio, health technology and more. Learn how TI analog products improve how we live, work and play at www.ti.com/analogconsumer-pr.
Learn more about TI's Display Interface portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order samples of the SN65DSI86.
- Download the data sheet for the SN65DSI86.
- See a mobile tablet interface IC video.
- Search for system block diagrams on the computing & multimedia applications page.
- Follow what TI signal chain experts have to say on our blog: www.ti.com/analogwire-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E, FlatLink, and FPD-Link are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated