OAKLAND, Calif., March 8, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- With a new administration in the White House and major policy shifts underway, shareholder proponents will focus this spring on preserving hard-won gains. Investors will consider a near-record number of environmental, social and sustainable governance resolutions at leading companies. Proxy Preview 2017, released today by As You Sow, the Sustainable Investments Institute (Si2) and Proxy Impact, lays out major themes on this year's agenda, from corporate political activity to climate change and economic inequality.
Available at www.proxypreview.org, key report findings include:
- Shareholders have filed far more resolutions in 2017 about environmental and social issues at U.S. companies than last year — at least 430, up from 370 in 2016.
- A total of 341 pending shareholder resolutions are discussed in the report, alongside 41 others barred from votes by SEC rules and 61 withdrawn by proponents — often after company accords.
- Close to 100 resolutions ask companies to disclose political lobbying and spending; while more than 80 are focused on how companies are preparing for climate change or addressing the risks from extractive energy and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Nearly 30 resolutions ask companies about board diversity — the highest in a decade. Even more connect equal treatment for women and minorities to job fairness.
- New this year are resolutions about indigenous peoples' rights, inspired by the controversial Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL).
Heidi Welsh, executive director, Si2 and co-author of Proxy Preview 2017, said, "The big focus on lobbying continues, with investors asking for more disclosure of state corporate influence spending. Since companies voluntarily disclose almost nothing about this spending and major public policy change is coming in the states, key questions of broad public interest abound."
CONTACT: Taraneh Arhamsadr, (510) 735-8157, email@example.com
As You Sow is a nonprofit organization that promotes environmental and social corporate responsibility through shareholder advocacy, coalition building, and innovative legal strategies. www.asyousow.org
Proxy Impact provides proxy voting and shareholder engagement services that promote sustainable and responsible business practices. www.proxyimpact.com
The Sustainable Investments Institute (Si2) provides impartial analysis to help institutions make informed, independent choices on social and environmental shareholder proposals. www.siinstitute.org
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/investor-expectations-and-new-administration-goals-clash-key-finding-in-new-proxy-preview-report-from-as-you-sow-si2-and-proxy-impact-300420190.html
SOURCE As You Sow