iPhone less pricy than Android for bestselling photo and video apps
GOLDEN, Colo., Jan. 31, 2013 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Because iPhones generally have higher price points than Android smartphones, conventional market wisdom is that iPhone users are less price-sensitive than Android users. Yet the Photo/Video Apps Market Analysis January Report just published by Suite 48 Analytics, the leading research and analysis firm for the mobile photography market, finds the more popular photo and video apps on iPhone cost on average 38% less than their Android equivalents. A majority of the 50 top ranking photo and video apps on iPhone are priced at the minimum allowed in the iTunes store, $0.99, compared to only 34% of Android apps.
Does this indicate that iPhone photo app users are more price-sensitive than generally thought? To Hans Hartman, Suite 48 Analytics president and lead author of the report, the finding is more revealing of competitive dynamics among suppliers than of differences in price sensitivity among users.
"The photo app market is more competitive and more mature on iPhone than on Android. There are roughly three times more photo or video apps in the iPhone store (approximately 20,000) than in Google Play (7,500). Also, whereas only 32% of Android apps have been on the market for over a year, the majority of the top ranking iPhone photo and video apps are that old."
To Hartman, it then comes as no surprise that iPhone apps compete primarily on price, while some boost their revenues from customers who are willing to pay extra for additional features through in-app purchasing functionality.
In fact, according to the study, 49% of iPhone apps older than one year have in-app purchasing functionality, versus only 29% of those released in the last six months.
Among other noteworthy findings of the study:
- 38% of the top ranking photo apps are photo enhancement apps (such filters or effects apps), followed by "combine" apps (such collage apps), and camera apps.
- Top ranking iPhone photo and video apps have higher user ratings than their Android counterparts.
- Only 10% of the top ranking photo and video apps are video apps (another 13% are apps that can be used both for photos and videos), indicating that still photography continues to dominate the market.
- Only 1% of the top ranking photo and video apps are primarily print product ordering apps such as greeting card or photobook apps; 5% have ordering print products as one of their features.
- 34% of the top grossing photo and video apps on iPad are specially made for iPad, i.e. not offered on iPhone.
- The top 25 free Android photo or video apps in the US generate 63% of their downloads outside the US. The equivalent number on the iPhone is significantly lower, at 51%.
The Photo/Video App Market Analysis January Report has the following chapters:
Part 1: Segmentation Analysis
- Main use case
- Intro date
- In-app purchasing options
Part 2: Ranking Analysis
- Paid Android Apps
- Free Android Apps
- Paid iPhone Apps
- Free iPhone Apps
- Paid Apps on iPad
- Free Apps on iPad
- Top Grossing Apps
- US vs. Worldwide App Downloads
The 89-page report includes 22 tables and 48 graphs.
For more information: suite48a.com/Photo_Apps.html
About Suite 48 Analytics
Suite 48 Analytics, the leading research and analysis firm for the mobile photography market, conducts app market analysis and research among smartphone and tablet users.
Reports include "The 6Sight Social Imaging Survey" and the "Photo Product Purchasing Survey among Mobile Photo App Users," as well as several free white papers. For more information: suite48A.com.
SOURCE Suite 48 Analytics
More by this Source
Inaugural Mobile Photo Connect Conference Signals a Maturing Mobile Photography Industry
Aug 28, 2013, 07:52 ET
Smartphones vs. Digital Cameras - has the tipping point been reached?
Jul 24, 2013, 16:39 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.