jcpenney Launches Nationwide Holiday Giving Tour Retailer Spreads Holiday Cheer, Surprising 12 Cities with Acts of Generosity
PLANO, Texas, Nov. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- jcpenney today announced the launch of its nationwide Holiday Giving Tour. Beginning on #GivingTuesday on Nov. 27, the retailer will embark on a 12-day tour throughout the U.S., carrying out special acts of generosity in a new city each day. From Christmas tree lighting and ice skating to Santas and tobogganing, jcpenney will bring a touch of Christmas cheer to cities across the country through simple, humble acts of generosity that pay homage to classic American holiday traditions.
The tour will kick off on Nov. 27 with a live holiday performance by Grammy Award winning artist John Legend, followed by free ice skating, skate rentals and hot chocolate in Manhattan's celebrated urban winter wonderland, Citi PondSM at Bryant Park. The tour will conclude on Dec. 8 in Los Angeles with a free exclusive, acoustic holiday concert outside a jcpenney store, performed by the reigning CMA Entertainer of the Year and ACM and CMA Male Vocalist of the Year, Blake Shelton. All events will be shared on jcpenney's Facebook, Twitter and YouTube pages.
"As a company founded on the Golden Rule, jcpenney has a strong legacy of giving back. As we embark on our exciting transformation, we realize becoming America's favorite store isn't just about the shopping experience we offer our customers – it's also about what we do to support the communities in which we live and work," said Miki Woodard, jcp cares president and vice president of philanthropy at jcpenney. "The holidays are a time of generosity and giving and we look forward to sharing this holiday spirit through our Holiday Giving Tour by surprising America with acts of generosity across the country."
jcp Teams Up with #GivingTuesday
As a founding partner of #GivingTuesday, jcpenney joins the nationwide movement on Nov. 27, the first day of the jcp Holiday Giving Tour. The #GivingTuesday initiative unites families, communities, companies and individuals to inspire Americans to join in acts of giving and celebrate our country's great tradition of generosity.
jcpenney stores will also be providing acts of generosity to customers throughout the holiday season by distributing collectible holiday buttons featuring one of 50 classic designs and holiday expressions. A unique code on the back of each button will offer customers a chance to win one of millions of gifts including great American vacations, tickets to The Ellen DeGeneres Show, jcp merchandise, gift cards, and more. Along with its event in Bryant Park, jcpenney will also be celebrating #GivingTuesday by donating one dollar to The Salvation Army – up to $100,000 – for every jcpenney holiday button redeemed at www.jcp.com/christmas on Nov. 27.
Small Change, Big Difference
The jcp Holiday Giving Tour builds on jcpenney's philanthropic efforts this season. Through its charitable giving program, jcp cares, jcpenney is making it possible for customers to give back. From Nov. 23 to Dec. 31, customers can support The Salvation Army by rounding up their store purchases to the nearest dollar and donating the difference to the organization's Red Kettle Campaign. With nearly 25,000 bell ringers at store fronts and shopping malls nationwide, this annual campaign helps to provide meals, clothing and toys to families who need it most. The Salvation Army's iconic red kettle is featured as one of jcpenney's button designs to signify the importance of their mission in communities across the country.
jcp Holiday Giving Tour Schedule:
- Nov. 27: New York, NY- In partnership with #GivingTuesday, New Yorkers will enjoy a complimentary performance by John Legend followed by free ice skating, skate rentals and hot chocolate throughout the afternoon at CitiPond at Bryant Park.
- Nov. 28: Langhorne, Pa. – Lumberjacks will distribute complimentary firewood outside jcpenney's Oxford Valley Mall store.
- Nov. 29: Orlando, Fla. – jcpenney will replace toll booth attendants with Santas. For every toll paid, jcpenney will match with a donation to The Salvation Army up to $10,000.
- Nov. 30: Knoxville, Tenn. – A miniature jcpenney-branded blimp will drop small gifts to unsuspecting pedestrians in Market Square.
- Dec. 1: Dallas, TX – Residents of warm-weather Dallas will get a chance to sled down a customized tobogganing hill at Flagpole Hill park.
- Dec. 2: New Orleans, La. – The local jcpenney store at Oakwood Shoping Center will surprise residents by turning their parking lot into an ice skating rink.
- Dec. 3: Chicago, Ill. – Warming up the Windy City, a cashmere-clad Santa will hand out jcp cashmere scarves, hats and more in downtown Chicago.
- Dec. 4: Alamosa, Colo. – The small town will receive a fully decorated, Rockefeller Center-sized Christmas tree and lighting ceremony.
- Dec. 5: Kemmerer, Wyo. – Home of jcp's first "Golden Rule" store, jcpenney will take over the local town car wash. Without having to get out of their cars that morning, the residents of Kemmerer can drive through a tented elf-staffed assembly line receiving hot cider or coffee, a $10 jcp gift card, a breakfast burrito from a local restaurant, and a car wash by jolly Santas.
- Dec. 6: Portland, Ore. – A local artist will create a beautiful pointillism portrait made out of hundreds of live poinsettias outside Pioneer Courthouse Square and at the end of the day, residents will be invited to take them home.
- Dec. 7: Phoenix, Ariz. – A team of helpful "elves" will offer complimentary valet service at the Paradise Valley jcpenney store to alleviate any stress around holiday shopping parking.
- Dec. 8: Los Angeles, Calif. – Blake Shelton will give an exclusive, acoustic holiday performance outside the jcpenney store at Westfield Culver City.
jcpenney media relations:
Kate Coultas and Daphne Avila
More than a century ago, James Cash Penney founded his company on the principle of the Golden Rule: treat others the way you'd like to be treated – Fair and Square. His legacy continues to this day, as J. C. Penney Company, Inc. (NYSE: JCP) boldly transforms the retail experience across 1,100 stores and jcp.com to become America's favorite store. Focused on making the customer experience better every day, jcpenney is dreaming up new ways to make customers love shopping again. On every visit, customers will discover great prices every day in a unique Shops environment that features exceptionally curated merchandise, a dynamic presentation and unmatched customer service. For more information, visit us at jcp.com.
About The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army, an evangelical part of the universal Christian church established in 1865, has been supporting those in need in His name without discrimination for more than 130 years in the United States. Nearly 30 million Americans receive assistance from The Salvation Army each year through the broadest array of social services that range from providing food for the hungry, relief for disaster victims, assistance for the disabled, outreach to the elderly and ill, clothing and shelter to the homeless and opportunities for underprivileged children. 82 cents of every dollar spent is used to support those services in 5,000 communities nationwide. For more information, go to www.SalvationArmyUSA.org.
#GivingTuesday is harnessing the power of social media to create a national movement around the holidays that is dedicated to giving. The #GivingTuesday movement is inspiring people to take collaborative action to improve their local communities, to give back in better, smarter ways to the charities and causes they celebrate and to help create a better world. It will begin with a national day of giving on November 27, 2012. #GivingTuesday is a first-of-its-kind effort to harnesses the collective power of a unique blend of partners—charities, families, businesses and individuals—to transform how people think about, talk about and participate in the giving season. For more information, go to www.givingtuesday.org.