Jeans Reign Supreme in Canadian Men's Wardrobes
#EverythingInJeans: 100 per cent of Canadian men own at least one pair of jeans and one-third have, and wear, a pair that makes their significant other cringe
Mark's expanded assortment hits comfort, price and style requirements of male shoppers
CALGARY, Aug. 19, 2014 /CNW/ - While young people are getting ready to head back-to-school, Canadian men are prepping their wardrobes for 'back-to-work.' A new consumer survey reveals that more Canadian men are turning away from suits and dress pants, opting for jeans to supplement their daily work attire. In fact, more than two-thirds of Canadian men believe that jeans are the most important item in their wardrobe, with sixty four per cent wearing their jeans 'anywhere and everywhere.'
The national survey[i] of 1,000 Canadians was conducted between July 22nd and 27th on behalf of Mark's (@MarksWW) - Canada's leading provider of men's casual and industrial apparel and footwear - and focused on the habits, attitudes and preferences of Canadian men and their jeans. The survey revealed that the average man owns between four and six pairs and wears them an average of 29 hours per week. What makes a pair of jeans great in his eyes? Comfort (79 per cent), fit (76 per cent), price (58 per cent), and 'looks good' (31 per cent) are ranked as the top four characteristics men find very important in a pair of jeans.
With more men turning to denim for their everyday work needs, Mark's has revamped its collection in-store and online and now offers new designers. Starting today, the retailer will offer Canadian men over 100 different styles of jeans from 10 of the country's most popular brands - including new additions from Silver and Buffalo, as well as an expanded offering from Levi's, Wrangler, Denver Hayes and DH3.
- Three-quarters of Canadian men believe their jeans get better with age
- Nearly half of Canadian men say their favorite pair of jeans is over three years old
- Men in British Columbia wear jeans more often than any other province; nearly one-in-five men in British Columbia wear them for 60 hours a week or more
- Men in Alberta are the most likely to own 10 or more pairs of jeans
- Thirty per cent of Canadian men 'agree' with the statement, "I have a pair of jeans that my wife, partner and/or friends think I should only wear at home because they're embarrassed to be seen with me wearing them in public."
- British Columbia: 21 per cent
- Alberta: 30 per cent
- Manitoba and Saskatchewan: 29 per cent
- Ontario: 29 per cent
- Quebec: 32 per cent
- Atlantic Canada: 40 per cent
- Men are buying jeans for specific occasions - work (41 per cent), leisure activities (41 per cent), chores & home improvement (41 per cent) and 'night out' (27 per cent)
"Jeans are Canadians' second skin and the men that shop in our store are confident and casual in their approach to clothing - they want to look good. When it comes to jeans, they also want different styles for different occasions and we've brought in options that work at the office, when heading out on a date or to a sporting event."
- Frederick Lecoq, Vice President of Marketing and E-Commerce at Mark's.
"These survey results speak for themselves - Canadian men love their
jeans. In all my years working in the fashion industry, I've seen
trends come and go but a good pair of jeans are a true wardrobe staple
that stands the test of time. By providing Canadian men with more
styles, washes and brands, Mark's is giving them the tools to stay
comfortable, fashionable and on-trend."
- Glen Baxter, Canadian fashion expert
Social and Online:
Mark's is kicking off a social media contest encouraging Canadians to submit photos through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram with the hashtag #EverythingInJeans showing their adventures in jeans. The retailer also created an online jeans guide with helpful style tips and outfit ideas.
Part of the Canadian Tire family of businesses since 2001, Mark's is one of Canada's leading apparel and footwear retailers with more than 380 stores across Canada. Known as L'Equipeur in Quebec, Mark's sells men's and women's work, casual and active clothing and footwear, as well as healthwear, accessories and business-to-business apparel. For more information, visit www.Marks.com.
 Men and Their Jeans, Angus Reid Forum, July 2014. The Men and Their Jeans study is a custom online survey of 1,000 Canadians with full national representation.