Johnson Controls to Acquire Delkor Corporation

MILWAUKEE, July 23 /PRNewswire/ -- Johnson Controls, Inc. (NYSE: JCI) has signed an agreement to acquire 90 percent of its existing joint venture with Delkor Corporation, a leading automotive battery manufacturer based in Seoul, South Korea. The remaining 10 percent will be acquired by the local management team, with all transactions completed no later than Aug. 15, 2010.

"Delkor is a strong and well-respected brand in Asia," said Alex Molinaroli, president of Power Solutions for Johnson Controls. "The acquisition further represents our commitment to local manufacturing presence and growth in Asia, complementing our recent announcements regarding our planned investments in China."

As Delkor integrates into the Johnson Controls network and its market-leading technology, the local management team, led by Delkor President H.S. Kwon, will remain in place and will continue to run the day-to-day business.

"We have every confidence that the Delkor management team will continue to serve our customers with the same reputation they have in the marketplace for quality and service as we continue to grow the business," said Molinaroli.

Johnson Controls will invest approximately $90 million in the acquisition. The company is also investing an additional $40 million to add 2.7 million units in capacity, increasing Delkor's total capacity to approximately 10 million batteries per year.

The Delkor joint venture was part of Johnson Controls' acquisition of Delphi's global automotive battery business in 2005.

About Johnson Controls

Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in over 150 countries. Our 130,000 employees create quality products, services and solutions to optimize energy and operational efficiencies of buildings; lead-acid automotive batteries and advanced batteries for hybrid and electric vehicles; and interior systems for automobiles. Our commitment to sustainability dates back to our roots in 1885, with the invention of the first electric room thermostat. Through our growth strategies and by increasing market share we are committed to delivering value to shareholders and making our customers successful.

Johnson Controls Power Solutions is the global leader in lead-acid automotive batteries and advanced batteries for hybrid and electric vehicles. Our 30 plants supply more than one third of the world's lead-acid batteries to major automakers and aftermarket retailers. Through our innovations we are building the advanced battery industry for hybrid and electric vehicles. Our joint venture, Johnson Controls-Saft, is the first company in the world to produce lithium-ion batteries for mass-production hybrid vehicles. Our commitment to sustainability is evidenced by our world-class technology, manufacturing and recycling capabilities.

SOURCE Johnson Controls, Inc.



RELATED LINKS
http://www.johnsoncontrols.com

More by this Source


Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

 

PR Newswire Membership

Fill out a PR Newswire membership form or contact us at (888) 776-0942.

Learn about PR Newswire services

Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.