Hallmark Canada's exclusive new product helps pre-cell phone youth communicate with friends
TORONTO, Aug. 7, 2012 /CNW/ - More than ever, Canadian youth are turning to their parents' smart phones and tablets to entertain themselves and communicate with their friends. As kids grow up surrounded by instant communication and technological know-how, the need for impulsive expression and the desire to own one of these devices is beginning at increasingly younger ages. To help kids communicate with their friends, Hallmark Canada has introduced Text Bands, a fun, brand-new way to communicate with their friends.
Available beginning today, and sold exclusively at Hallmark Gold Crown stores across Canada, Text Bands are wrist bands that contain a small texting module which allows wearers to create and share messages, up to 10 characters long. Targeted at pre-cell phone aged youth, Text Bands allow the wearer to send their message wirelessly to friends also wearing a band by fist bumping, high fiving or hand shaking.
"At Hallmark, we are always looking for new ways to help people connect and express themselves." said Dan Bengert, director of brand experience - advertising & consumer insight, Hallmark Canada. "We understand how important it is for young people to communicate with their friends and feel this new, unique product is a fun way they can do so without having the responsibility of a cell phone at a young age."
F2F†† Digital Communications
Text Bands are a safe, fun way for youth to use technology to communicate with one another. The bands allow users to feel connected and share moments with their friends without losing the value and integrity of a face-to-face conversation. Additionally, Text Bands not only have a built-in bad word filter, but parents will be able to use the bands to teach their children about smart digital communication.
Text Bands starter kits are available in Purple and Charcoal, and youth will be able to express their own personal style through eight additional interchangeable bands available in Pink Zebra, Blue Camo, Peace Signs, Pink Glitter, Red, Green Stripes, Darth Vader and Minnie Mouse.
- Text Bands have the capacity to store up to 24 10 character messages - after 24 messages, it's first-in/first-out
- Text Bands messages appear in all caps, and there are no spaces allowed However, punctuation, including periods (.), hyphens (-) and colons (:) can be used to separate words
- A built in replay feature allows wearers to review messages over and over again by pressing the centre button
- The texting module requires two button-cell batteries, and starter kits come with the batteries already installed
- Text Bands are sold exclusively at select Hallmark Gold Crown stores across Canada
- Each Text Band starter kit is $14.99, plus tax and is available in Purple or Charcoal
- Additional interchangeable bands cost $4.99 and include Pink Zebra, Blue Camo, Peace Signs, Pink Glitter, Red, Green Stripes, Darth Vader and Minnie Mouse
- Quantities will be limited, but Canadians can visit select Hallmark Gold Crown stores and ask an associate to put their name on a waiting list
How They Work
- To get started, turn Text Bands on by toggling the "On/Off" switch on the back of the band's texting module
- Create a message by holding down the center button until the cursor starts blinking, and use the left/right buttons to scroll through characters. Once you find the character you want, press the center button to select it. When finished, hold the center button until your complete message scrolls across the band
- Trade messages with another Text Bands wearer by fist bumping, high fiving or hand shaking. You can also get creative and come up with our own way to trade messages. Your message will scroll across their Text Band and their message will scroll across yours
- To replay collected messages, press the button on the left side of the module
- To delete messages, hold the left and right buttons until the last message received scrolls across the band, and press center button to delete the message; press any other button to cancel
- You may leave the band on at all times. There is an off switch on the back of the device. If you turn your Text Band off, it will delete ALL messages
For more information or to find the nearest Hallmark Gold Crown store visit www.Hallmark.ca.
About Hallmark Canada
Hallmark Cards, Inc. is the world's largest manufacturer of greeting cards and other personal expression products. Hallmark was founded by Joyce C. Hall in 1910 and currently employs more than 740 artists, designers, stylists, photographers, writers and editors, who develop nearly 20,000 products each year. Hallmark Canada is the industry leader whose products are sold through its 182 Gold Crown stores as well as select grocery stores, drug stores, mass-merchandisers and discount stores. Hallmark makes the world a more caring place by helping people express what's in their hearts and spend time together - a privilege few other companies in the world enjoy
† Just to let you know
SOURCE Hallmark Canada