LANSING, Mich., Sept. 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- According to experts, from 2000 until 2011, senior citizens 65 years and older grew nearly 18 percent, up to 41.4 million. Nearly 81 percent of that age group owned homes at the end of 2011.
Children and families of the Baby Boomer generation — people born between 1946 and 1960 — will soon find themselves helping elderly loved ones move.
Moving a senior family member is challenging. No one wants to upset that person, and everyone wants the move to go as smoothly as possible. This can sometimes seem like an impossible task.
The important thing to remember when moving a senior is to stay organized and calm throughout the move, say the experts at TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®. When moving a senior into a living facility, consider contacting management to find out what can be brought onto the campus, what are appropriate moving hours, and do they have any best practices for the move.
- Start packing several weeks in advance. Pack early to avoid being overwhelmed as moving day draws near.
- Wrap small items in colored paper. This prevents items such as knick-knacks from becoming lost or thrown out.
- Label boxes on top and sides. Mark the top and sides of boxes as they're packed. Make sure to label boxes containing breakable or sentimental items with "fragile."
- Pack all electronic equipment in original boxes. Otherwise use low-static bubble wrap when packing these items
- Always use packing paper. When wrapping fine china and precious items, the ink from printed newsprint may bleed onto valuables.
- Sealing all boxes with packing tape. This makes it easier to stack and protect belongings.
- Use boxes designed for the items you are packing. Use dish pack boxes for dishes and wardrobe boxes for clothing.
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® is the largest franchised moving company both in the United States and internationally. Currently there are more than 240 national locations and 1,500 trucks operating in the U.S.; in total, the company operates 260 locations and 1,600 trucks. TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® has performed more than 4.5 million moves since its inception in 1985. The company has seen consistent monthly growth dating back to December 2009 and more than 20 months of double-digit growth. Each location is independently owned and operated. Visit twomenandatruck.com.
Contact: Dawn Kroeger
SOURCE TWO MEN AND A TRUCK