NATICK, Mass., May 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Millions of Americans will be
preparing for cookouts this Memorial Day and BJ's Wholesale Club has advice
and tips to help party planners save money and host an incredible cookout
to kick off this summer season.
(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20070521/NEM133 )
* Out in the yard - Set up chairs, umbrellas, a patio set or a sling
chaise for people to sit, talk and relax in. Arrange rock speakers in
the yard to play music and blend into the background.
* Party into the night - Sit around a copper fire pit for a comfortable
outdoor evening atmosphere. Illuminate the yard with decorative metal
lanterns, paper lanterns or umbrella lights.
* Fire-up the grill -Whether to cook on a gas grill or charcoal grill
depends on a person's taste. Both give meat, fish and poultry a
different taste. Add wood chips to both types of grills and the food
will take on a slightly different flavor.
* Utensil Usability - Handling food is easy with the right barbecue set.
A complete set should include a fork, spatula, grill brush, basting
brush, tongs, skewers and corn holders. To grill vegetables, use a
stainless steel griddle or change the way chicken is typically grilled
with a chicken roaster.
* Safety first - Knowing when meat is cooked is extremely important.
Undercooked meats, fish and poultry can cause serious health risks. Keep
family and friends safe by making certain they are fully cooked with a
grill thermometer. A grill should be on medium heat for fish
(350 - 400 degrees). Pork chops and chicken should be grilled on
medium hot (450 - 550 degrees). Beef needs to be over a hot flame
* Keep it cool - A good cooler is essential to keep drinks refreshing and
cold, especially on hot days. A cooler can be any size as long as it is
well insulated. Add ice or cool packs to keep the temperature cool.
* Make it fresh - Fresh meats, fish and poultry are delicious grilled.
Three to six pound packages are great for a small crowd. For a large
crowd, purchase a whole piece of meat and ask your butcher to cut it to
your specifications. Grilled and seasoned fresh vegetables are always
appetizing. Throw broccoli, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes and onions on
the grill and it will complement any great meal.
* Serve it up - Decorative, festive and sturdy paper goods are an
important piece to a good cookout, especially when it's time to clean
up. Plates and cups need to be thick and strong enough for all the food
and drinks being served.
* Happy endings - Brownies, cookies and cakes are tasty treats that are
easy to grab and won't make a mess.
About BJ's Wholesale Club
Headquartered in Natick, Massachusetts, BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc. is a
leading operator of warehouse clubs in the eastern United States. The
Company currently operates 173 clubs and 96 gas stations in 16 states. For
more information about BJ's, please visit http://www.BJs.com.
SOURCE BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.