Kimberly-Clark Receives A+ GRI Rating for 2011 Sustainability Report
2011 Sustainability Report, Full Circle, Highlights Company's Efforts to Sustain Resources for the Future By Focusing on People, Planet & Products
DALLAS, Aug. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Kimberly-Clark Corporation (NYSE: KMB) received an A+ rating from Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) on its 2011 Corporate Sustainability Report – Full Circle, which highlights the company's progress towards its Sustainability 2015 goals. GRI is a non-profit organization promoting economic, environmental and social sustainability by providing organizations with a comprehensive sustainability reporting framework used worldwide.
"Receiving the A+ GRI rating is a testament to the commitment that our leaders and our employees have to sustainability across our entire value chain involving every function, brand and business at K-C," said Peggy Ward , Director, Sustainability Strategy at Kimberly-Clark. "While we are proud of our 2011 progress and the quality level of our sustainability report, we recognize that sustainability is a journey that we will never complete."
The 2011 Sustainability Report was released in May 2012 and is K-C's ninth such annual report. The report is structured around the company's Sustainability 2015 strategy framework of People, Planet and Products introduced last year. The new framework represents K-C's most ambitious and comprehensive sustainability strategy to date, and embodies the company's commitment to weaving a sustainable business practice and mindset into every facet of the organization and as an integral part of its Global Business Plan.
In order to secure the A+ rating, Kimberly-Clark fulfilled all 79 indicators established by GRI under the headings of Economic Performance, Labor Practices, Human Rights, Environmental Practices, Society Performance and Product Responsibilities. Some of the key highlights of our activities captured in the report include:
Notable 2011 Kimberly-Clark Sustainability Accomplishments
- Sourced 99.9 percent of its fiber from suppliers certified by sustainable forestry practices.
- Generated 13 percent of 2011 net sales from environmentally innovative products.
- Accomplished its goal of zero workplace fatalities.
- Communicated to all of its key suppliers its Supplier Social Compliance Standards, which encourages suppliers to align its operations with K-C's Code of Conduct practices and internationally accepted standards for corporate social responsibility and human rights.
- Achieved zero manufacturing waste to landfill from all its European Personal Care business facilities.
- Extended the Huggies brand Every Little Bottom campaign in the U.S. to assist moms who struggle to provide their babies clean disposable diapers.
- Expanded the Huggies diaper composting initiatives by opening a second K-C-sponsored recycling plant in New Zealand.
- Kleenex brand became the first U.S. consumer tissue to offer Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified tissue products and extended its Kimberly-Clark Professional business' FSC certification to more than 95 percent of its tissue and towel lines in North America.
- Initiated water-replenishment projects in India, Israel, Colombia and Spain, anticipating an annualized return of 205 million gallons of water to surrounding communities.
- Conducted social initiatives in 23 countries, providing cash and product donations totaling more than $32 million.
Additional highlights, along with the full report, can be accessed online at www.sustainabilityreport2011.kimberly-clark.com.
Kimberly-Clark and its well-known global brands are an indispensable part of life for people in more than 175 countries. Every day, nearly a quarter of the world's population trust K-C's brands and the solutions they provide to enhance their health, hygiene and well-being. With brands such as Kleenex, Scott, Huggies, Pull-Ups, Kotex and Depend, Kimberly-Clark holds the No. 1 or No. 2 share position in more than 80 countries. To keep up with the latest K-C news and to learn more about the company's 140-year history of innovation, visit www.kimberly-clark.com, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
SOURCE Kimberly-Clark Corporation
More by this Source
Kimberly-Clark Announces New Treasurer
May 09, 2013, 10:56 ET
Kimberly-Clark A Big Winner With Six Effies At The 45th Annual Effie Awards Gala
May 23, 2013, 09:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.