Latest TI SimpleLink™ Wi-Fi® CC3000 module simplifies home network setup and improves user experience
- Developers can deliver better user experiences with easy-to-use SmartConfig™ technology and service discovery features
- Lower CC3000 host processor memory requirements make new module compatible with a broader range of microcontrollers (MCUs)
DALLAS, Jan. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- With the Internet of Things (IoT) revolution, new devices are wirelessly connected to the home network and to the cloud. However, headless devices with no keypads or touchscreens including garage door openers, home appliances, lights, thermostats and treadmills can be complicated to connect to a Wi-Fi® network. Today, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) offers developers a solution to these challenges with its latest SimpleLink™ Wi-Fi CC3000 module available from TI. The self-contained module features the unique SmartConfig™ technology, a Wi-Fi configuration process developed by TI that allows multiple in-home devices without displays to connect to a Wi-Fi network via a smartphone or tablet—in just one easy step. To see how simple SmartConfig technology is, watch the video here. The CC3000 module now also supports service discovery applications on phones, tablets and PCs using Bonjour® zero-configuration networking technology, making it easier for consumers to quickly identify and manage networked devices. The SimpleLink Wi-Fi CC3000 module is compatible with low-cost, low-memory microcontroller (MCU) systems, such as TI's MSP430 family.
"The need to easily connect display-less devices to the wireless network has become a barrier to wide deployment of connected-home products," said Gil Reiter, marketing director, Wireless Connectivity Solutions, TI. "With TI's SmartConfig technology, ODMs can reduce the complexity of consumers' in-home provisioning through a simple Wi-Fi setup application for smartphones or tablets that gets a SimpleLink Wi-Fi CC3000-enabled device on the network with just one click. Once devices are connected, the consumer's experience gets even better with intuitive service discovery capabilities that allow for easy device control and monitoring."
SimpleLink Wi-Fi CC3000 solution features and benefits
• One-step Wi-Fi configuration using smartphones or tablets
• Easy network setup for display-less (headless) devices
• Simultaneous multiple device provisioning
• iOS and Android sample applications available
Flexible memory size
• Compatible with ultra-low-cost MCUs
• Easy integration with TI's MSP430s and other MCUs
• Quick and easy discovery of network-provisioned devices via smartphones and tablets
• Integrated with SmartConfig technology
• Cloud server connection over HTTP via built-in TCP/IP stack
• Remote device control available via mobile app or website
• Push/pull of sensor data, monitor and control possible via TI cloud service partners and other providers
The SimpleLink Wi-Fi CC3000 will be demonstrated at CES 2013 in the TI Village, North Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center.
Using SimpleLink Wi-Fi CC3000 modules, design engineers can take advantage of a complete support platform including a comprehensive Wiki, sample applications, support community, user guide and porting guide for faster time-to-market.
Availability and pricing
SimpleLink Wi-Fi CC3000 pre-production modules are sampling now. Production modules will be available in 1Q 2013 through TI authorized distributors for $9.99 in 1,000-unit quantities. The SmartConfig technology iOS app is available now on the App Store. The SmartConfig technology app will be available for Android in 1Q 2013.
SimpleLink Wi-Fi CC3000 Evaluation Modules and BoosterPacks are available on the TI eStore.
Find out more about TI's SimpleLink portfolio by visiting the links below:
- TI's SimpleLink Wi-Fi CC3000: www.ti.com/cc3000-pr
- TI's SimpleLink product family: www.ti.com/simplelink
- TI's SmartConfig technology video: www.ti.com/cc3000-pr-v
- TI's wireless connectivity selection guide: www.ti.com/wirelessconnectivityguide
- TI's CC3000Wiki: www.ti.com/cc3000wiki
- TI E2E™ CC3000 community: www.ti.com/cc3000forum
- TI's CES activities, including SimpleLink Wi-Fi CC3000 demonstrations
About Innovation at TI
For more than 80 years, TI has been at the forefront of technical innovation, enabling customers to differentiate products with higher integration, faster speeds and lower power. Today, we are engineering the future with advances in energy harvesting, power management, cloud computing, safety and security, health technology, and more. Learn more about how TI's Analog and Embedded Processing products are improving how we live, work and play, today and well into the future, at www.ti.com/innovation.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
SimpleLink, SmartConfig, MSP430 and TI E2E are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments
More by this Source
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.