Lift Caregiving Co-Founders Announce a Growing Slate of Guest Writers with Expertise in Caregiving and Aging for liftcaregiving.com
RICHMOND, Va., Nov. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Lift Caregiving, a free online resource offering expert advice to family caregivers, announces a growing slate of guest authors who will be writing for the site.
Ted Ukrop, co-founder of Lift Caregiving, says, "Our mission is to provide our visitors with meaningful caregiving-related content that will help support them emotionally and practically. We have worked to identify knowledgeable guest writers to regularly add content to our site in their specific areas of expertise, which include:
- Geriatrics & Disease Management
- Exercise & Nutrition
- Family Caregiving
"We have writers that range from practicing family caregivers to medical doctors and researchers, and we believe that by offering these different perspectives we will help caregivers make informed decisions about the care they provide, while also connecting them with a virtual support system," says Katie Gilstrap, co-founder of Lift Caregiving.
Lift Caregiving allows visitors to share comments, ideas and feedback and to engage in community discussions on family caregiving topics.
About the Guest Writers
- Cameron Von St. James is the husband of mesothelioma survivor/advocate Heather Von St. James, who was diagnosed in 2005 at the age of 36. A seven-year survivor of this rare cancer, Heather and Cameron now work with the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance to bring awareness to this often neglected disease.
- Carolyn Comerford was a caregiver for her mother from 1990 to 1995. In 2004 she founded and became the Executive Director for Center for Caring, an organization which implemented a variety of senior programs in the Richmond and Goochland, Virginia areas until 2009.
- C. Jay Robbins, IV is a full-time attorney who enjoys writing as a hobby. C. Jay's father suffered from Alzheimer's for many years. C. Jay has one sibling and his mother was the full-time caregiver for his father.
- Rhonda Day is a wife, mother and grandmother. Rhonda is a full-time freelance writer. Rhonda was a caregiver for her mother who had Alzheimer's for many years. Rhonda is one of five siblings who, along with Rhonda's father, cared for their mother at home for most of her illness.
- Rosemary Rawlins holds a Bachelor of Applied Studies in Human Resource Management from the University of Richmond. Her memoir, Learning by Accident, is a story that grew out of a journal she kept after her husband, Hugh, sustained a traumatic brain injury.
- Mary Williams is a full-time teacher's aide. After her mother-in-law began aging, she quit her job to become her full-time caregiver. After caring for her for close to three years, Mary settled her mother-in-law's affairs and returned to work.
- Dr. Ayn Welleford is Chair of the Department of Gerontology at Virginia Commonwealth University. Dr. Welleford received her B.A. in Management/Psychology from Averett College, and her M.S. in Gerontology and Ph.D. in Developmental Psychology from Virginia Commonwealth University. She has taught extensively in the areas of Lifespan Development, Adult Development and Aging, Geropsychology, and Aging & Human Values.
- Dr. Christine Jensen is Director of Health Services Research with the Center for Excellence in Aging and Lifelong Health in Williamsburg, Virginia. She also teaches at The College of William & Mary and Virginia Commonwealth University. Dr. Jensen obtained her Ph.D. in Human Development & Family Studies, with a specialty in Gerontology, from the University of Delaware.
- Dr. Bonnie Shelton is the owner of Shelton Medical Advocate, LLC, a private medical advocacy service in Richmond, VA. Her passion is to serve caregivers and families by providing information that allows them to make informed decisions about their medical care.
- Dr. Peter A. Boling is a Professor of Medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University where he leads Geriatrics and General Internal Medicine. His Geriatric program development work began in 1984, when he started, and has since led the VCU House Calls program. His group also provides geriatric ambulatory care, and added nursing home practice (1996), a post-hospital Transitional Care program (2000), inpatient Geriatric consults (2002), and PACE (2009) to its portfolio.
- Dr. Abey Albert is an Anesthesiologist in Richmond, Virginia. Dr. Albert graduated from The Medical College of Virginia (VCU School of Medicine) in 1982. His residency training was conducted at The Medical College of Virginia Hospital in the areas of Anesthesiology and Pediatrics.
Exercise & Nutrition Professionals
- Janie Peterson, is a Richmond-based Certified Ageless Grace Educator and Trainer. She is also a certified Nia white- and green-belt instructor, as well as a certified AFAA Fitness Instructor. She teaches at numerous retirement and assisted living facilities, as well as at ACAC Fitness and Wellness Center.
- Sharon Palmer is a registered dietitian, writer and author of The Plant-Powered Diet. Over 850 of her articles have been published in national publications, including Prevention, Better Homes and Gardens, and Today's Dietitian. She is also the editor of the award-winning publication Environmental Nutrition and writes for her blog, The Plant-Powered Dietitian.
Professionals in the Field of Aging
- Kari Berit is a radio show host, speaker and the author of The Unexpected Caregiver: How Boomers Can Keep Mom & Dad Active, Safe and Independent.
- Faith Franz is a researcher and writer for The Mesothelioma Center. She advocates for alternative medicine and encourages patients to explore all of their treatment options.
- Gina Kavanaugh, RN is the Clinical Research Coordinator at Riverside Center for Excellence in Aging and Lifelong Health.
- Dr. Mario Trucillo is the Medical Content Editor for The American Recall Center, a brand new website dedicated to educating individuals with the most up-to-date information about prescription medications and medical device recalls.
About Lift Caregiving
Lift Caregiving is a free website serving family caregivers, offering expert advice, proven products, helpful tools and a database of local and national caregiving service providers.
Media Contact: Katie Gilstrap, Lift Caregiving, 804-644-5438, email@example.com
News distributed by PR Newswire iReach: https://ireach.prnewswire.com
SOURCE Lift Caregiving
More by this Source
Supportive New Feature for Lift Caregiving Care Lounge Users
Feb 11, 2014, 08:58 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.