Lilly's Global Day of Service Supports Indy DO Day Initiative
Globally, more than 20,000 Lilly employees will help improve communities in 60 countries
INDIANAPOLIS, Oct. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Eli Lilly and Company's (NYSE: LLY) sixth Global Day of Service in Indianapolis will look a little different this year. Lilly employees will join thousands of other volunteers from local community and civic-based organizations in a city-wide initiative known as Indy DO Day. Together, this united army of volunteers will make Indianapolis a better place to live.
Lilly's 8,000 Indianapolis volunteers will work on 70 projects that blend into Indy DO Day, a broader community effort that encourages all Indianapolis residents, businesses, nonprofits and faith-based organizations to find projects – both big and small – that will have a positive impact on the city.
Lilly and other leading community organizations spearheaded Indy DO Day, helping connect businesses and nonprofits to share expertise, brainstorm activities and identify projects leading up to the three-day event. Lilly's Global Day of Service will serve as its contribution to Indy DO Day, which runs from October 10 – 12.
"In partnership with Indy DO Day, we're looking forward to tackling projects that otherwise could take months to accomplish," said Rob Smith, senior director of corporate responsibility and president of the Lilly Foundation. "We're very proud of what we've achieved with our Lilly Global Day of Service over the past five years, and we're pleased to take it to the next level and show the positive impact we can have on our city and its people when we all work together."
Expanding reach and impact
As part of Indy DO Day, Lilly volunteers will complete more projects than ever before on October 10, including activities that advance previous efforts. Highlights include:
- Phase II of the Reconnecting to Our Waterways initiative. Last year, volunteers worked with Keep Indianapolis Beautiful (KIB) along six city waterways laying the foundation for this year's activities including plantings, painting and walking trails.
- Personal connections. This year, Lilly employees were asked to identify and help coordinate projects that benefit organizations for which they are personally passionate. More than 20 organizations, including the Girl Scouts of America and The Julian Center, will benefit.
- A heightened focus on hunger. Working with partners from Elanco, a division of Eli Lilly and Company, 26 projects will help address the staggering hunger issue in Indiana, where one in six residents lack sufficient food.
In addition, a number of projects in Central Indiana and other cities across the U.S. will tie more closely with Lilly's business. For example, volunteers from Lilly Oncology will work with national organizations – such as the Cancer Support Community and Ronald McDonald's House – to support patients and caregivers by creating care packages and blankets.
Impacting communities around the world
Since Global Day of Service launched in 2008, Lilly employees have given 625,000 hours of service to communities around the world. This year, more than 20,000 Lilly employees will participate in nearly 60 countries, from Barbados to Slovenia and many places in between.
As in Indianapolis, projects are based on community need and are increasingly being tied to Lilly's business and areas of expertise, including projects that support diabetes, mental health and cancer organizations and patients.
A full list of participating countries can be found at www.lillyGDOS.com.
Follow Lilly's Global Day of Service on social media
- Follow Lilly on Facebook and Twitter
- Updates from global locations will be shared using the hashtag #LillyGDOS
Global Day of Service by the numbers
In Indianapolis, our partnership with Keep Indianapolis Beautiful has helped our volunteers leave an undeniable mark on the city. Highlights from the past five years include:
- An estimated 200,000 volunteer hours given, which equals nearly 20 years of service
- More than 140 projects completed
- Close to 10,000 trees planted
- More than six miles of mulch used (11,011 yards)
- More than 3,000 gallons of paint applied, the equivalent of filling a 12' round swimming pool
- Nearly 170,000 plants placed
About Eli Lilly and Company
Lilly, a leading innovation-driven corporation is developing a growing portfolio of pharmaceutical products by applying the latest research from its own worldwide laboratories and from collaborations with eminent scientific organizations. Headquartered in Indianapolis, Ind., Lilly provides answers – through medicines and information – for some of the world's most urgent medical needs. Additional information about Lilly is available at www.lilly.com. C-LLY
SOURCE Eli Lilly and Company
More by this Source
Lilly to Participate in Barclays Healthcare Conference
Mar 05, 2014, 16:45 ET
Elanco Announces Agreement to Acquire Lohmann Animal Health
Feb 24, 2014, 08:00 ET
Lilly to Participate in Cowen Healthcare Conference
Feb 21, 2014, 12:30 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.