HOUSTON, Nov. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Adding to the popular, low-cost TI MCU LaunchPad evaluation kit ecosystem, Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced the new C2000™ InstaSPIN-FOC™ (field-oriented-control) LaunchPad and DRV8301motor drive BoosterPack plug-in module, creating a fully-functional sensorless motor control system for just $66 USD. Traditional sensorless motor control development is complicated and unattainable for most developers due to cost, time and real world application constraints. TI's InstaSPIN-FOC technology, with the key software sensor algorithms embedded in on-chip ROM, alleviates system complexity for designers of all levels while also reducing design time by identifying, tuning and efficiently controlling any type of 3-phase, synchronous or asynchronous motor in just minutes. By including InstaSPIN-FOC technology in the on-board Piccolo™ F28027F MCU, the new $17 USD C2000 InstaSPIN-FOC LaunchPad dramatically reduces the barriers to entry for motor control development.
A complete, fully functional motor kit for just $66
The compatible $49 DRV8301 motor drive BoosterPack plug-in module, also announced today, creates a low-voltage, medium-current, robust motor control solution that is ready for development of 6- to 24-V, up to 14-A applications and can be used as a low-cost prototyping and evaluation tool for developing a higher-powered system. The DRV8301 BoosterPack is an affordable option to help developers start designing with 3-phase motor control and is the only TI-designed motor driver BoosterPack on the market today – made specifically for the C2000 InstaSPIN-FOC LaunchPad. If designers purchase the LaunchPad and BoosterPack together, they can test and experiment with this unique pairing of motor control hardware and TI's InstaSPIN-FOC technology, including full hardware design files, debugging, GUI interface and more, to begin creating appliance motors, fans and pumps.
Features and benefits of C2000 InstaSPIN-FOC™ LaunchPad:
- Extremely low-cost tool which provides isolated real-time JTAG debugging and access to most input/output pins of the InstaSPIN-FOC enabled Piccolo MCU.
- Utilize the on-board, low-cost, 48-pin package, 64 KB of Flash-enabled Piccolo F28027F microcontroller with on-chip InstaSPIN-FOC motor control technology to identify and tune all 3-phase sensorless motor types, including synchronous (BLDC, SPM and IPM) and asynchronous (ACI) motors in minutes, cutting cost and design time.
- Begin software development easily with a free version of TI's Code Composer Studio™ integrated development environment (IDE).
- Evaluate quickly and develop full InstaSPIN-FOC based applications easily using the new motor control library (modules, drivers, system examples, documentation) through MotorWare™ software, which offers latest in C object-oriented and API-based coding techniques and over a dozen lab based projects that let you explore the features of InstaSPIN-FOC (Motor ID, saving motor parameters, torque control, tuning speed controller, run-time resistance monitoring, field weakening, modulation techniques and PowerWarp™ solution).
- Use InstaSPIN-FOC solutions to obtain near encoder performance (to eliminate the need for a physical sensor in most applications) with embedded on-chip FAST™ observer algorithm, which through only analysis of currents and voltages, calculates a reliable and robust estimation of rotor flux, angle, speed and torque across use conditions.
Features and benefits of the DRV8301 BoosterPack:
- When paired with the C2000 InstaSPIN-FOC LaunchPad, the DRV8301 BoosterPack provides a complete 3-phase brushless DC sensorless motor control solution.
- The complete brushless DC drive stage includes a pre-driver, power MOSFETs, and current sense amps in a small form factor.
- Experiment with motor drive systems at a low voltage with this 6- to 24-V, 14-A peak 3-phase inverter.
- Drive stage is fully protected and provides detailed fault reporting through a serial interface.
- NexFET™ power MOSFET technology enables higher system efficiency and excellent thermal performance.
- All hardware design files are provided allowing customers re-use of circuit and layout designs.
Pricing and availability
The new C2000 InstaSPIN-FOC LaunchPad development kit (LAUNCHXL-F28027F) is now available for $17 USD, and the DRV8301 BoosterPack plug-in module (BOOSTXL-DRV8301) is available for $49 USD. For convenience, users can bundle both kits together on the TI eStore. Additional previously released InstaSPIN-FOC enabled kits that support different inverter power ranges, Piccolo, and DRV83xx devices include DRV8301-69M-KIT, DRV8312-69M-KIT, and TMDSHVMTRINSPIN. The InstaSPIN-FOC enabled Piccolo F2802xF MCUs start at $4 in low volumes, DRV8301 at $2.50, and CSD18533Q5A NexFET MOSFETs at $0.63.
Innovation is at the core of TI MCUs
Beginning with the foundation of leading process technology and adding unique system architecture, intellectual property and real-world system expertise, TI continues its 20+ years of MCU innovation with ultra-low-power MSP MCUs, real-time control C2000™ MCUs, Tiva™ ARM® MCUs and Hercules™ safety MCUs. Designers can accelerate time to market with TI's ecosystem of tools, software, wireless connectivity solutions, extensive Design Network offerings and technical support.
TI spins motors
TI combines a rich history in motor drive and control, a broad portfolio of analog and microcontroller products and a comprehensive offering of tools, software and support to deliver efficient, reliable, cost-effective motor solutions. Customers can get the right solutions at the right performance level to quickly spin any motor, including AC induction (ACIM), brushed DC, brushless DC (BLDC), PMSM and stepper.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
InstaSPIN, C2000, Piccolo, and MotorWare are trademarks of Texas Instruments Incorporated. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments