WASHINGTON, Nov. 1, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- LUNGevity launches Lung Cancer Awareness Month with a comprehensive program to educate the public about the disease and share real stories of lung cancer patients, survivors, and their families to highlight the many faces of lung cancer. This month the Foundation is also featuring people across the country who are having an impact on furthering the organization's vision of a world where no one dies of lung cancer.
LUNGevity believes strongly that everyone can drive progress and change for people affected by the disease, whether through research funding, mentoring a fellow lung cancer patient, or organizing and participating in events and activities to raise funds and awareness.
"This November, we are equipping individuals with the tools they need to help spread awareness about lung cancer and have an impact on the disease. Like the butterfly effect, all actions – big and small – can help drive change for people facing a lung cancer diagnosis," said Andrea Ferris, President and Chairman of LUNGevity Foundation. "We are also proud to be launching new mobile apps, partnerships, and research funding opportunities that will transform how people live with lung cancer."
LUNGevity urges everyone to take action to make an impact in the fight against lung cancer. Here's what YOU can do to drive change:
- Get social! Change your profile picture to LUNGevity's Change LC photo. Join the conversation using #ChangeLC and post your personal story, demonstrating how you are having an impact on lung cancer outcomes on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter. Share LUNGevity posts with your network to spread the message.
- Get active! Register for a Breathe Deep event near you and use our new mobile tools to fundraise; request LUNGevity materials to hand out in your community.
- Learn more! Read LUNGevity's Experts Blog and sign up for our newsletters, then share with your network. Check out the website for updates and important information for patients and caregivers.
- Join the Support Community! Find support, information, and resources through the online Survivor and Caregiver Resource Centers and Twitter chats; read our patient blogs; and become a LUNGevity LifeLine Support Partner today.
LUNGevity is a primary resource for hospitals, clinics, and healthcare professionals, helping to support their patients. Join LUNGevity, the nation's leading lung cancer-focused organization, to do your part in creating a world where no one dies of lung cancer.
For more information on LUNGevity, please visit www.LUNGevity.org.
About Lung Cancer in the U.S.
- About 1 in 15 Americans will be diagnosed with lung cancer in their lifetime
- More than 224,000 people in the U.S. will be diagnosed with lung cancer this year
- About 60%-65% of all new lung cancer diagnoses are among people who have never smoked or are former smokers
- Lung cancer takes more lives than the next four deadliest cancers (colorectal, pancreatic, breast, and prostate) combined
- Only 18% of all people diagnosed with lung cancer will survive 5 years or more, BUT if it's caught before it spreads, the chance for 5-year survival improves dramatically
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lungevity-kicks-off-lung-cancer-awareness-month-with-comprehensive-program-to-change-the-face-of-lung-cancer-300354953.html
SOURCE LUNGevity Foundation