McDonald's Canada Statement: Behind the Barn Door by W5
TORONTO, Oct. 21, 2013 /CNW/ - Contrary to recent media reports or allegations made by Mercy for Animals Canada, McDonald's Canada does not source eggs from KuKu Farms or any Alberta farm mentioned in W5's recently aired program, "Behind the Barn Door."
Recent media reports have inferred a link between the farms referenced in W5's story and McDonald's Canada. This implied connection is concerning to McDonald's Canada and we want to reiterate the following, which was communicated in our statement to several media outlets:
- McDonald's Canada does not source eggs from KuKu Farms or the other Alberta farm mentioned in W5's recently aired program. The company sources no eggs from the Province of Alberta.
- We care about the humane treatment of animals and believe they should be free from cruelty, abuse and neglect.
- Abuse is never tolerated in our supply chain and McDonald's has strict policies in place concerning the treatment of animals that our suppliers must adhere to at all times.
- McDonald's standards and policies cover critical areas such as feed, water, air quality and humane treatment.
- We work with our suppliers and outside experts to continuously improve our standards and practices, both within McDonald's and across the industry.
For more information on McDonald's animal welfare practices, please visit: McDonald's Animal Health & Welfare
LETTER ISSUED FROM BURNBRAE FARMS TO MCDONALD'S CANADA:
October 21, 2013
Senior Vice-President, National Supply Chain
McDonald's Restaurants of Canada Limited
RE: KuKu Farms Ltd.
In connection with CTV's W5 story which aired on October 19, 2013, as your Canadian egg supplier, we at Burnbrae Farms confirm the following:
- Burnbrae Farms has never sold eggs to McDonald's Canada which came from KuKu Farms.
- Although Burnbrae Farms has purchased eggs from KuKu Farms, none of these eggs have ever entered the McDonald's Canadian supply chain.
- Burnbrae Farms does not sell product of any kind to McDonald's Canada which is sourced from Alberta.
- Kuku Farms is not a supplier of eggs that are sold to McDonald's Canada. We wish to advise you that Burnbrae Farms has immediately suspended purchases from Kuku Farms pending a full investigation.
Like McDonald's Canada, Burnbrae Farms is committed to excellence in the standards set and enforced for the welfare of the hens that produce eggs for our customers. We continue to act to ensure that McDonald's Canada and all of our other customers receive product from hens that thrive in humane and safe environments and we will respond accordingly to the allegations against KuKu Farms.
BURNBRAE FARMS LIMITED
Margaret F. Hudson
SOURCE McDonald's Canada