MD+DI Announces 46 Innovative Products as Finalists in 2013 Medical Design Excellence Awards
Winners to be announced in ceremony at 30th MD&M East Event
LOS ANGELES, April 2, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry (MD+DI) has announced the finalists of the 15th Annual Medical Design Excellence Awards (MDEA), the MedTech industry's premier competition for medical device design and innovation. MD+DI's April print issue is due out in two weeks and will highlight the finalist companies and the awards program. Winning products will be announced at the 2013 MDEA Ceremony on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 at 4:30 pm inside the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown hotel. The ceremony is held in conjunction with the 30th MD&M East event at the Pennsylvania Convention Center, June 18-20.
The MDEA program recognizes the achievements of medical device manufacturers, their suppliers, and the many people behind the scenes—engineers, scientists, designers, and clinicians—who are responsible for the groundbreaking innovations that are changing the face of healthcare. MDEA-finalist and winning entries excel in the areas of product innovation, design and engineering achievement, end-user benefit, and cost-effectiveness in manufacturing and healthcare delivery.
A comprehensive review of the entries was performed by an impartial, multidisciplinary panel of third-party jurors with expertise in biomedical engineering, clinical practice, diagnostics, human factors, industrial design, manufacturing, and medicine. See what the jurors have to say about the MDEA program. The 2013 MDEA Juror Panel selected 46 finalists in 10 medical product categories.
2013 MDEA FINALIST PRODUCTS AND MANUFACTURERS (alphabetical by category):
Check out the MDEA Finalist listing on MD+DI that features detailed product descriptions and images, as well as submitter, supplier, and designer company credits.
CRITICAL-CARE AND EMERGENCY MEDICINE PRODUCTS
- AccuVein AV400 vein illumination system. Manufactured by AccuVein Inc. (Cold Spring Harbor, NY).
- Companion 2 Driver System in-hospital pneumatic power supply for the SynCardia temporary Total Artificial Heart. Manufactured by SynCardia Systems Inc. (Tucson, AZ).
- Infrascanner Model 2000 handheld brain hematoma screening device. Manufactured by InfraScan Inc. (Philadelphia, PA). Entry submitted by Inteprod LLC (Eagleville, PA).
- Rota-Trach disposable standard tracheostomy tube. Manufactured by Vitaltec Corp. (Taichung City, Taiwan).
DENTAL INSTRUMENTS, EQUIPMENT, AND SUPPLIES
- 3M ESPE Intra-Oral Syringe. Manufactured by 3M Deutschland GmbH (Seefeld, Bayern, Germany).
- Carestream CS 8100 panoramic unit. Manufactured by Carestream Dental (Croissy-Beaubourg, Marne La Vallee, France). Entry submitted by Carestream Dental (Atlanta, GA).
- EPIC Dental Diode Laser System. Manufactured by BIOLASE Inc. (Irvine, CA).
- Zimmer Trabecular Metal Dental Implant. Manufactured by Zimmer Dental Inc. (Carlsbad, CA).
FINISHED MEDICAL PACKAGING
- Lantus & You Journal for Lantus SoloSTAR (insulin glargine [rDNA origin] injection pen). Manufactured by Sanofi (Bridgewater, NJ). Entry submitted by IDEO (Cambridge, MA).
GENERAL HOSPITAL DEVICES AND THERAPEUTIC PRODUCTS
- Dansac NovaLife 1 & 2 Ostomy Pouches. Manufactured by Dansac A/S (Fredensborg, Denmark).
- LUSTRE Pure Light Treatment for Acne. Manufactured by Ambicare Health (Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom). Entry submitted by Kinneir Dufort (Bristol, United Kingdom).
- Optiflow Junior Nasal Cannula. Manufactured by Fisher & Paykel Healthcare (Manukau, Auckland, New Zealand).
- PowerGlide Midline Catheter. Manufactured by Bard Access Systems (Salt Lake City, UT).
- Stryker Prime TC Transport Chair. Manufactured by Stryker Medical (Portage, MI).
- ViSi Mobile comprehensive body-worn vital signs monitoring system. Manufactured by Sotera Wireless Inc. (San Diego, CA). Entry submitted by Eastman Chemical Co. (Kingsport, TN).
IMPLANT AND TISSUE-REPLACEMENT PRODUCTS
- The ATI Neurostimulation System, an implantable neurostimulator device that targets the sphenopalatine ganglion (SPG) for the treatment of severe headache. Manufactured by Autonomic Technologies Inc. (Redwood City, CA).
- Cochlear Nucleus CR120 Intraoperative Remote Assistant. Manufactured by Cochlear Ltd. (Macquarie University, NSW, Australia).
- DynaNail Ankle Arthrodesis Nail. Manufactured by Medshape Inc. (Atlanta, GA).
- GORE Septal Occluder. Manufactured by W. L. Gore & Associates Inc. (Flagstaff, AZ).
- Nucleus CI422 cochlear implant with Slim Straight Electrode. Manufactured by Cochlear Ltd. (Macquarie University, NSW, Australia).
- Orthofix Ankle Compression Nailing System (ACN). Manufactured by Orthofix Srl. (Bussolengo, Italy). Entry submitted by Orthofix Inc. (Lewisville, TX).
IN VITRO DIAGNOSTICS
- EDGE Platform. Manufactured by HTG Molecular Diagnostics Inc. (Tucson, AZ).
- Irys genomics platform. Manufactured by BioNano Genomics (San Diego, CA). Entry Submitted by Sparton Medical (Strongsville, OH).
- Vantera Clinical Analyzer. Manufactured by LipoScience Inc. (Raleigh, NC).
OVER-THE-COUNTER AND SELF-CARE PRODUCTS
- AllStar Reusable Insulin Delivery Device. Manufactured by Sanofi India Ltd. (Mumbai, India). Entry submitted by DCA Design International (Warwickshire, United Kingdom).
- FreeStyle InsuLinx Blood Glucose Monitoring System. Manufactured by Abbott Diabetes Care (Alameda, CA). Entry submitted by Bridge Design (San Francisco, CA).
- Masimo iSpO2 Pulse Oximeter and the iSpO2 App available on Apple's App Store. Manufactured by Masimo Corp. (Irvine, CA).
- New Glucose Sensor Serter System. Manufactured by Medtronic Minimed (Northridge, CA).
- NovoPen 5 insulin pen with memory function. Manufactured by Novo Nordisk A/S (Copenhagen, Denmark). Entry submitted by ESP Bioscience (Crowthorne, Berkshire, United Kingdom).
- SpeediCath Compact Set ready-to-use coated catheter in sterile solution with attached bag. Manufactured by Coloplast A/S (Humlebaek, Denmark).
RADIOLOGICAL AND ELECTROMECHANICAL DEVICES
- Acessa minimally invasive, outpatient therapy for treating uterine fibroids. Manufactured by Halt Medical Inc. (Brentwood, CA).
- Avedro KXL System for accelerated corneal crosslinking. Manufactured by Avedro (Waltham, MA).
- Liposonix Custom Contouring. Manufactured by Solta Medical (Hayward, CA). Entry submitted by General Assembly (Seattle, WA).
- UltrOZ Elite wearable ultrasonic therapy system. Manufactured by ZetrOZ (Trumbull, CT). Entry submitted by Digital Talent Agents (Columbia, MO).
REHABILITATION AND ASSISTIVE-TECHNOLOGY PRODUCTS
- Ambio Remote Health Monitoring System. Manufactured by Arrayent Health LLC, dba Ambio Health (Stamford, CT).
- Genesis Touch wireless remote patient monitoring device. Manufactured by Honeywell HomMed (Brookfield, WI).
- mySentry Remote Glucose Monitor. Manufactured by Medtronic Diabetes (Northridge, CA).
- ResMed Pixi Paediatric Mask. Manufactured by ResMed Ltd. (Sydney, NSW, Australia).
- Rifton TRAM transfer and mobility device. Manufactured by Rifton Equipment (Rifton, NY).
- t:slim Insulin Pump. Manufactured by Tandem Diabetes Care Inc. (San Diego, CA). Entry submitted by Tandem Diabetes Care Inc. (Claremont, CA).
SURGICAL EQUIPMENT, INSTRUMENTS, AND SUPPLIES
- Adherus AutoSpray Dural Sealant. Manufactured by HyperBranch Medical Technology (Durham, NC).
- Aquamantys3 BSC 9.1S bipolar sealer with cutting. Manufactured by Medtronic Advanced Energy LLC (Portsmouth, NH). Entry submitted by Continuum Advanced Systems (West Newton, MA).
- FORNISEE Lighted Uterine Manipulator System. Manufactured by LSI SOLUTIONS (Victor, NY).
- iDrive Ultra Powered Stapling System. Manufactured by Covidien (North Haven, CT).
- NeoChord DS1000 Chordae Replacement System. Manufactured by NeoChord Inc. (Eden Prairie, MN). Entry submitted by Worrell Design Inc. (Minneapolis, MN).
- Sonicision Cordless Ultrasonic Dissection System. Manufactured by Covidien (Boulder, CO).
What to expect at the 15th Annual MDEA Winners Ceremony on June 19th during MD&M East:
- The 2013 MDEA-finalists, and their suppliers, will be honored for their innovative contributions to the medical device industry.
- Bronze, Silver, and Gold-winning products will be announced in each category.
- One Gold-winning product will be awarded "Best-in-Show."
- Dr. Robert Langer will be recognized as the 2013 MDEA Lifetime Achievement Award winner for his contributions over a long career that have had a demonstrable impact on technological, business, and cultural advancements in medical devices.
- The NCIIA will announce the winners of the 2013 BMEidea biomedical engineering competition for university students.
For more information about the Medical Design Excellence Awards—including additional details about the manufacturers and suppliers that created the 2013 MDEA-finalist products—visit the MDEA website at www.MDEAwards.com or e-mail: email@example.com.
UBM Canon, the leading B2B media company dedicated exclusively to the global $3.0 trillion advanced manufacturing sector, helps support the flow of information, commerce and innovation in such sophisticated segments as medical devices and pharmaceutical development. UBM Canon also addresses cutting-edge developments in broader areas of advanced engineering design and manufacturing, and manufacturing processes and packaging. UBM Canon is part of UBM plc (UBM.L) a global provider of media and information services for professional B2B communities and markets.
SOURCE UBM Canon
More by this Source
Top Electronics Suppliers to Meet at Electronics New England
Mar 04, 2014, 10:30 ET
3D Printing On Display at Pacific Design & Manufacturing
Jan 30, 2014, 16:23 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.