Medicago Invited to Present at Upcoming U.S. Investor Conferences
QUEBEC CITY, Feb. 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ - Medicago Inc. (TSX: MDG; OTCQX: MDCGF), a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing highly effective and competitive vaccines based on proprietary manufacturing technologies and Virus-Like Particles (VLPs), today announced that the Company will be presenting at the following upcoming U.S. investor conferences.
RBC Capital Markets 2013 Healthcare Conference - The conference is being held February 26-27, 2013 at the New York Place, New York. Andy Sheldon, Medicago's President and Chief Executive Officer, is schedule to present on Wednesday, February 27 at 2:30pm Eastern Time. The presentations are scheduled to take place in a fireside chat format in which Mr. Sheldon will provide a brief overview of the Company's business strategy after which an equity analyst will moderate a question and answer session.
25th Annual Roth Growth Stock Conference - The conference is being held March 17-20, 2013 at the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel in Dana Point, California. Mr. Sheldon is scheduled to present on March 19th at 2:00pm Pacific Time. The Roth Growth Stock Conference brings together executives from over 400 growth companies, one of the largest of its kind in the US.
Medicago's pipeline includes:
- The initiation of a U.S. Phase IIa clinical trial for a quadrivalent seasonal flu vaccine with interim data expected in summer of 2013;
- Phase I clinical trial for an H5N1 VLP vaccine with a new adjuvant that is ongoing in partnership with the Infectious Disease Research Institute (IDRI). Interim data are expected in the first quarter of 2013;
- Newclinical trial of the H5N1 VLP vaccine designed to determine the lowest possible dose by two different administration routes (IM and ID) and combining the vaccine with a GLA adjuvant is planned to start in spring of 2013, with interim data expected in summer of 2013;
- GMP process development and a GLP toxicology study for a rabies vaccine are ongoing;
- Medicago is also working with Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma under a strategic alliance to develop a vaccine for rotavirus and at least two additional vaccine candidates;
- In addition to vaccines, Medicago is conducting research and development in the area of biosimilar products.
Medicago is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company developing novel vaccines and therapeutic proteins to address a broad range of infectious diseases worldwide. The Company is committed to providing highly effective and competitive vaccines and therapeutic proteins based on its proprietary VLP and manufacturing technologies. Medicago is a worldwide leader in the development of VLP vaccines using a transient expression system which produces recombinant vaccine antigens in plants. This technology has potential to offer more potent vaccines with speed and cost advantages over competitive technologies, enabling the development of a vaccine for testing in approximately one month after the identification and reception of genetic sequences from a pandemic strain. This production time frame has the potential to allow vaccination of the population before the first wave of a pandemic, and supply large volumes of vaccine antigens to the world market. Medicago also intends to expand development into other areas such as biosimilars and biodefense products where the benefits of our technologies can make a significant difference. Additional information about Medicago is available at www.medicago.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This news release includes certain forward-looking statements or forward-looking information for the purposes of applicable securities laws and such statements and information are based upon current expectations, which involve risks and uncertainties associated with Medicago's business and the environment in which the business operates. Any statements contained herein that are not statements of historical facts may be deemed to be forward-looking, including those identified by the expressions "anticipate", "believe", "plan", "estimate", "expect", "intend", and similar expressions to the extent they relate to Medicago or its management. The forward-looking statements are not historical facts, but reflect Medicago's current expectations regarding future results or events. These forward-looking statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results or events to differ materially from current expectations, including the matters discussed under "Risk Factors and Uncertainties" in Medicago's Annual Information Form filed on March 29, 2012, with the regulatory authorities. Medicago assumes no obligation to update the forward-looking statements, or to update the reasons why actual results could differ from those reflected in the forward-looking statements.
SOURCE Medicago Inc.