New Report Underscores Trucking's Essential Role in U.S. Economy
ARLINGTON, Va., May 29, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A new report issued today by American Trucking Associations, ATA American Trucking Trends 2013, demonstrated that trucking continues to be the dominant mode of freight transportation in the United States as even more goods were delivered by truck.
"Good data is important to good policymaking," said ATA President and CEO Bill Graves. "And the data in Trends shows a dynamic, growing industry that is the literal lifeblood of the U.S. economy."
Among the findings in this year's edition of Trends:
- Trucks moved 9.4 billion tons of freight in 2012, or 68.5% of all domestic shipments. Both figures are up from the previous year.
- In 2012, trucking generated $642.1 billion in gross freight-related revenues, or 80.7% of the nation's freight bills, also increases from 2011.
- There are 6.9 million people employed in trucking-related industries.
- The majority of trucking companies are small businesses – with 90.5% operating six or fewer trucks. Only 2.8% of fleets operate more than 20 trucks.
- Class 6-8 trucks traveled 137.2 billion miles in 2011 – up 4.7% from the previous year.
- The trucking industry paid $36.5 billion in federal and state highway user fees and taxes in 2011 – a 10.3% increase from 2009.
"As the nation continues to travel the road to recovery following the Great Recession it is becoming increasingly clear that trucking is leading the way," said ATA Chief Economist Bob Costello. "The data in Trends should provide a road map for policy makers and business leaders as they continue to plot the course of that recovery."
American Trucking Trends 2013 is available exclusively from ATA Business Solutions and participating state trucking associations. To learn more, or to purchase the report, go to trucking.org or call 866-821-3468 (inside the United States) or 703-838-1700 (outside the U.S.).
American Trucking Associations is the largest national trade association for the trucking industry. Through a federation of 50 affiliated state trucking associations and industry-related conferences and councils, ATA is the voice of the industry America depends on most to move our nation's freight. Follow ATA on Twitter or on Facebook. Good stuff. Trucks Bring It!
SOURCE American Trucking Associations
More by this Source
Professional Truck Drivers Offer Safety Tips For Holiday Travel
Dec 19, 2013, 15:34 ET
ATA, Minnesota Trucking Association Request Sleeper Berth Pilot Project
Dec 16, 2013, 10:52 ET
ATA Share the Road Truck Delivers for Wreaths Across America
Dec 13, 2013, 14:51 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.