New York Jazz Workshop Set for Annual Summer Sessions Four-day workshops held in world's jazz capital
NEW YORK, April 22, 2013 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- More than beach and barbeques, for jazz musicians around the world summer is the time to take their playing to the next level in the world capital of jazz, as the New York Jazz Workshop School of Music (NYJW) will again offer focused four-day workshops, July 25 through August 18, with sessions for all ages.
Expertly led by leading jazz educators and performers, the Summer Summit Series for adults includes workshops on improvisation, jazz guitar, singing, rhythm, composition, arranging and production. Also scheduled are two sessions of the four-day Jazz Summer Camp for students age 12 to16.
"Our workshops are geared to musicians looking for a more structured setting than typical jam session, where they can really advance their playing and improvisation," NYJW co-founder Marco Chelo said. "For musicians of all levels our summer sessions offer a great vacation alternative in the world capital of jazz."
The Summer Summit Series helps musicians of varying skill levels gain unmatched jazz knowledge and develop professional techniques though these workshops limited to ten students each:
- Jazz Improvisation Workshop (July 25-28) Saxophonist and NYJW cofounder Marc Mommaas with drummer Tim Horner will cover harmonic, melodic and rhythmic principles across many composition styles.
- Jazz Guitar Workshop (Aug. 1-4) led by noted guitarists and teachers Vic Juris and Nate Radley.
- Vocal Workshop (Aug 1-4) Led by singer Fay Victor, immediate to advanced singers will expand their voices through a focus on vocal styling, phrasing, ear training, improvisation and more. Optional fifth day offered on the business aspects of successful singing career.
- Rhythm Workshop (Aug. 8-11) covers swing feel, composition, mixed meter, polyrhythms and more, taught by drummer Tony Moreno and saxophonist Marc Mommaas.
- Vocal Workshop for Beginners (Aug 8-11) Singer Olivia Foschi focuses students on key vocal techniques to help them develop and enjoy their unique voices
- Jazz Composition, Arranging & Production Workshop (Aug 15-18). Grammy winner Doug Beavers shows students how to create, produce, record and mix their own compositions.
- Teen Jazz Summer Camp teaches the ultimate form of interactive musical expression, jazz improvisation--vital skills that can be applied to other styles of music, as well contribute to personal growth and development. Led by Craig McGorry, a talented jazz musician and passionate educator over 20 years of experience teaching music to teens, Session 1 runs July 23-16, with Session 2 set for Aug 13-16.
Throughout the year, NYJW provides a proven methodology for learning jazz through ear training; melodic, harmonic and rhythmic exercises; and a combination of individual and group performances, taught by faculty members who combine excellent teaching skills with impressive jazz credentials, in jazz-rich, musically New York City, with its lively performance and jam session scene.
Media Contact: John Lee, MEDIA 917-653-3444 email@example.com
Marco Chelo, New York Jazz Workshop, 917-340-0270, firstname.lastname@example.org
News distributed by PR Newswire iReach: https://ireach.prnewswire.com
SOURCE New York Jazz Workshop