NiSource Issues 2013 Sustainability Report Report documents progress in support of its Sustainability Strategy
MERRILLVILLE, Ind., May 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- NiSource Inc. (NYSE: NI) today issued its 2013 Sustainability Report, highlighting the company's progress in building a more enduring and sustainable company across five key dimensions, including the environment, communities, customers, employees and shareholders.
The complete report and individual strategy-specific components are available online at www.nisource.com/sustainability.
"Sustainability at NiSource is a story of continuous and ongoing improvement," NiSource President and CEO Robert C. Skaggs, Jr. said. "We have a clear direction thanks to our Sustainability Strategy and our unwavering commitment to top-tier safety and reliability, collaborative stakeholder relationships, inclusive and engaging work environments, strong governance and transparency, and forward-looking environmental practices and stewardship."
Performance highlights from the 2013 Sustainability Report include:
- Doing the right thing: NiSource was named to Ethisphere's World's Most Ethical companies list for the third consecutive year (2012, 2013 and 2014).
- Safe, reliable, modern energy infrastructure: In 2013, NiSource invested more than $2 billion in its infrastructure. These investments help uphold and improve reliability, safety and flexibility for customers, while creating significant economic benefits and reducing emissions.
- Energy conservation and savings: Residential customers saved more than $16 million through energy efficiency programs.
- Community investment: NiSource donated about $6.2 million to non-profit organizations across its service territory.
- Environmental improvements: Ongoing NiSource environmental projects will reduce power plant sulfur dioxide emissions by more than 90 percent, and the company's energy infrastructure modernization investments will further reduce its greenhouse gas emissions, including methane, from distribution and interstate pipeline systems.
- Safe, engaged teams: NiSource employees worked more than 16 million hours without injury in 2013, achieving improved safety performance in many key categories. NiSource has instituted a number of initiatives aimed at ingraining a "Safety by Choice" mentality across the company.
The NiSource report and its data align with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) sustainability reporting requirements and received external assurance in support of the report's completeness. Archives of past reports are available at www.nisource.com/sustainability.
NiSource Inc., based in Merrillville, Ind., is a Fortune 500 company engaged in natural gas transmission, storage and distribution, as well as electric generation, transmission and distribution. NiSource operating companies deliver energy to 3.8 million customers located within the high-demand energy corridor stretching from the Gulf Coast through the Midwest to New England. Information about NiSource and its subsidiaries is available at www.nisource.com. NI-F
SOURCE NiSource Inc.