WASHINGTON, June 27, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- As the most connected, active and culturally dynamic neighborhood in Washington, D.C., NoMa will be the home to a summer packed full of events, activities and adventures. The NoMa BID today announced that REI is re-opening their popular REI Community Space at Wunder Garten, NoMa's pop-up Bavarian bier garten and launching their "United Outside" campaign. The NoMa BID will also be hosting the ever-popular NoMa Summer Screen, a 4th of July Bash and other exciting events for the entire community.
After a highly successful first season, REI's Community Space at Wunder Garten will once again provide urban and wilderness adventurer's throughout the DMV with the chance to come together in a unique neighborhood destination and enjoy outdoor classes, happy hours, fundraisers and some great parties this summer.
In honor of their D.C. flagship store opening this fall, REI recently announced their "United Outside" campaign, marking 100 days of outdoor recess dedicated to the belief that in the outdoors we can all find common ground. Many of REI's events will take place in the Wunder Garten.
A few events being hosted by REI in their Community Space at Wunder Garten show the dizzying range of activities around which citizens can become "United Outside," including:
- REI D.C. Flagship Sneak Peak, July 11: Enjoy ice cold beer and gooey s'mores while meeting the general manager of the new store and other REI leaders. To top off the night, get a sneak peak of store's design that will inspire a life outside.
- FREE WEEKEND, July 16-17: Here's a free ride everyone can get behind. This weekend only: No charge for Capital Bikeshare rentals, Key Bridge Boathouse rentals, REI Outdoor School classes and entry to C&O Canal National Historic Park at Great Falls Tavern, MD. The evening of July 16 includes a party at Wunder Garten with cold beer, s'mores and giveaways.
- Outdoor Women's Night, July 21: Grab your girlfriends and meet REI for a night of storytelling, drinks, vendor clinics, instructional sessions and giveaways.
- Thingamajig Gear Swap, July 30 and October 8: Buy/sell/barter/trade used gear with other outdoor lovers while listening to live Appalachian music and sipping on craft beer. A portion of ticket sales will support Living Classrooms, a local outdoor nonprofit).
- Wild Kitchen Sunday Supper Series, Dates throughout summer: At these special dinners, you'll do good while eating well. Each night features a local chef and the entire ticket price benefits a local non-profit that supports the outdoors.
For more details on and the full "United Outside" schedule click here.
The fun doesn't stop at Wunder Garten. Hosted at NoMa Junction @ Storey Park (1005 First Street NE), NoMa Summer Screen is a free, 13-week outdoor film series, every Wednesday from June 1 to August 14. This year, with support from REI as the title sponsor, and in solidarity with principles of "United Outside," adventure-themed movies are screened at sunset, accompanied by music, giveaways, food trucks and picnicking. NoMa Summer Screen has been ranked one of the Top 10 Best Outdoor Movie Theaters in America by Travel and Leisure Magazine and one of the top five outdoor move series in the country by Travel Pulse. Find the full movie schedule here.
"From outdoor movies under the stars to pop-up beer gardens in NoMa we are all about creating and enjoying the great urban outdoors," said Robin-Eve Jasper, President of the NoMa BID. "If you are sad that HBO and Comcast pulled out of Screen on the Green, have no fear, NoMa is here. Our Summer Screen series will fill the void for residents and tourists."
NoMa is a vibrant, growing mixed-use neighborhood, at the heart of Washington, D.C. NoMa has more than 17.6 million SF of office, hotel, retail, and residential space. The neighborhood is home to 3,836 new apartments and over 54,000 who people work here each day. NoMa is the most connected neighborhood in Washington, D.C. with unparalleled transportation access through Union Station, two Red Line Metro stops, and vehicular access to Interstate 395. Each year, the NoMa BID organizes more than 50 award-winning free community events, connecting more than 20,000 friends and neighbors. For more information about NoMa, visit http://www.nomacitysmarter.com.
Media Contact: Susannah Spruill
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/noma-brings-sizzling-summer-activities-to-the-community-300290694.html