MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif., Nov. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is calling attention to pancreatic cancer during Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month in November. The organization is urging Americans to join the movement to defeat pancreatic cancer and "Like the Fight."
Pancreatic cancer is currently the fourth leading cause of cancer death in the United States, but is expected to become the second by 2020. This year alone, more than 45,000 American's will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and more than 38,000 will die from the disease. And, the five year survival rate is just six percent.
"We need more Americans to get involved in the pancreatic cancer movement by taking specific actions in November to continue to raise national awareness and drive others to do the same. Our goal is to double the survival for pancreatic cancer by 2020, and to achieve it we need more people to support our efforts," stated Julie Fleshman, president and CEO of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. "As the pancreatic cancer movement grows, we are able to generate more awareness across the country and increase urgent attention to the need to make real progress towards improved patient outcomes."
During awareness month all American's are encouraged to "Like the Fight" by visiting www.pancan.org/fight and take any number of actions throughout the month including sharing messages via social media about individuals and corporations who are making a difference in the fight against pancreatic cancer to calling Member of Congress to let them know the fight against pancreatic cancer is urgent and important.
In addition to the online campaign, the following events are taking place nationwide during November:
- Alex and Ani Charity by Design's 'Today is an Opportunity' Expandable Wire - 20 percent of all Alex and Ani sales of the 'Today is an Opportunity Bangle' will continue to go directly to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. This bangle is available online and in all Alex and Ani retail locations. Visit www.alexandani.com.
- Purple With a Purpose - On November 22 you can show your support by wearing Purple With a Purpose! Wear purple attire or a purple awareness ribbon or wristband and let your friends know you "Like the Fight." Share your purple pictures at www.fb.com/jointhefight.
- PurpleStride – The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network hosts signature events during the month of November, and throughout the year, in cities across the country. Find one near you at www.purplestride.org.
- Pentel of America's violet EnerGel-X pens - All packs and dozen boxes of violet EnerGel-X liquid gel pens now prominently feature the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network logo and goal to double the survival for pancreatic cancer by 2020. For each package sold, Pentel will donate 5¢ to the organization. The pens have been named the "Violet Pen of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network." Visit http://www.pentel.com/blog/pentel-partners-up-with-the-pancreatic-cancer-action-network
- Tempur-Pedic® 2013 Hugs Back Campaign – Tempur-Pedic® 2013 Hugs Back Campaign – During the month of November, Tempur-Pedic North America, LLC has committed to contribute $10 to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network for every individual who tests a Tempur-Pedic® mattress at a participating authorized retailer up to a maximum donation of $250,000. To learn more or find a retailer, visit www.tempurpedichugsback.com.
- Z Gallerie Shirley Key Shopping Weekend. In memory of Shirley Zeiden, mother of the company's founders, Z Gallerie will donate 10 percent of weekend sales with the Z Gallerie card and $5 from the sale of each small aubergine Esque Glow candle from November 15 through November 17. Visit www.zgallerie.com.
About the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is the national organization creating hope in a comprehensive way through research, patient support, community outreach and advocacy for a cure. The organization is leading the way to increase the survival rate for people diagnosed with this devastating disease through a bold initiative — The Vision of Progress: Double the Pancreatic Cancer Survival Rate by 2020. Together, we can know, fight and end pancreatic cancer by intensifying our efforts to heighten awareness, raise funds for comprehensive private research, and advocate for dedicated federal research to advance early diagnostics, better treatments and increase chances of survival.
SOURCE Pancreatic Cancer Action Network