TORONTO, March 1, 2013 /CNW/ -
Jorge Barrera of APTN News: The 2012 J-Source Newsperson of the Year
Jorge Barrera, a reporter for the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network, has been named the winner of the 2012 J-Source Newsperson of the Year Award for his investigative work in First Nations communities and for his outstanding, multi-platform reporting on the Idle No More movement.
By the Stylebook: Describing same-sex marriages
By Katie Toth
As AP confirms use of "husband" and "wife" for same-sex married couples, The Canadian Press looks back on our big shifts for LGBT language.
Q&A with Newsana co-founder Ben Peterson
By Belinda Alzner
Newsana wants to elevate the conversation and create a curation community that provides meaning to its members. But how will they capture users' short attention spans on the Internet?
Journalists, lock up your cellphones
By Thomas Rose
Journalists may want to get into the habit of locking their cellphones in the wake of a ruling by the Ontario Court of Appeal which found police do not need a warrant to search unprotected phones.
10 social media tools, tips and trends for journalists
By Shauna Rempel
From tools to new platforms, the Social Media Weekend at Columbia University looked at the latest trends in social media and how journalists can use them to better their reporting.
IN THE NEWS
- The Globe draws 80,000 digital subscribers, but unclear how many are new customers
- The Western Magazine Awards now accepting submissions
- Applications for William Southam Journalism Fellowships extended to March 7
- Call for participants for study on journalistic independence
- Toronto weekly The Grid named one of the best-designed newspapers in the world
- Time to abolish outdated defamatory libel offence
- Galit Rodan wins 2013 Tom Hanson Photojournalism Award
- The Canadian Journalism Foundation Excellence in Journalism Award applications extended to March 4
- RTDNF scholarship applications open
- CTV's Roger Smith announces retirement
- Mar. 6: CFP: NOW Talks with Sally Armstrong, ON
- Mar. 7: The Hybrid Media System: Politics and Power — Andrew Chadwick, ON
- Mar. 7-8: CFP: [Re]Visions: Protest and Resistance, ON
- Mar. 13: Massey College Press Club Night: Royson James, ON
- Mar. 27: CJF J-Talk in Ottawa: Politicians and Political Reporters Talk Social Media , ON
- Apr. 25: CJF J-Talk (Save the Date), ON
J-Source and ProjetJ are projects of The Canadian Journalism Foundation in collaboration with leading journalism schools and organizations.
CJF News: Are you an early-career journalist looking to explore your beat in-depth for a week? Apply for the Greg Clark Award. Deadline: March 15.
CJF Awards: Early-bird rates available for tables and tickets for the 16th Annual CJF Awards until March 29.
Visit CJF Awards to purchase a ticket. To buy more than five tickets or a table, contact Josh Gurfinkel email@example.com.
SOURCE Canadian Journalism Foundation