BLOOMINGDALE, Ill., March 8, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- By now, many wellness Resolutions are abandoned with hope caught up in fad diets and juice cleanses that bear minimal results. It's time to find a real, life-changing solution anyone can stick with. Today, detox expert and creator of TheHealthyApple.com, Amie Valpone (@thehealthyapple), launches her first cookbook, EATING CLEAN: The 21-Day Plan to Detox, Fight Inflammation and Reset Your Body (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt). With a forward by Dr. Mark Hyman, the book gives people the tools and inspiration for detoxing their lives from top to bottom with natural foods and products, like those from NOW®. Visit eatclean.nowfoods.com.
"It's amazing how many people hear 'detox' and think it means a quick fix," said Amie. "When in reality it's about making a complete lifestyle change to rid the body of toxins and clean up your lifestyle, literally. I healed myself from 10 years of chronic illness – you name it, I had it – through a dedicated detox journey, and what you'll find in my book are my best tips to kick start the food and lifestyle transformation that comes from clean eating and living long-term."
According to Amie, relying on trusted companies and brands is key when detoxing, so you really know what's going in and on the body. That's why Amie chooses NOW® to support a clean routine. NOW, a family-owned and trusted natural products manufacturer that's been around for over 45 years, offers more than 1,400 high-quality, natural and affordable products, from nutrient-rich foods and supplements to personal care and sports nutrition items.
"Amie encourages a realistic approach to living well," said Amber Cerda, NOW's Marketing Communications Manager. "We're proud to partner with her to help fulfill our mission to empower people to lead healthier lives."
Below, Amie shares her top five detox strategies to consider for better health. In addition, visit eatclean.nowfoods.com for videos featuring more of Amie's tips, and enter for a chance to win autographed copies of her book and $500 in NOW products. For more from Amie, follow the detox conversation at #EatCleanNOW.
- Strengthen Your Gut. One of the most important benefits of detoxing is achieving good gut health. Almost 80% of the immune system is located in the gut so maintaining a healthy gut can help support overall immune system balance. One easy way to strengthen the gut is it to take a high-quality probiotic supplement every day, like NOW® Probiotic-10 25 Billion*.
- Support Your Liver. The liver is one of five main detox organs in the body. These organs help to pull out toxins we are exposed to every day through food, air, water, etc. One of the best ways to cleanse the liver and keep it working effectively and efficiently is simply drinking dandelion tea. This tea enhances detoxification, by temporarily stimulating urination and, in addition, by replacing the potassium lost in that process. Plus it contains free radical scavengers that support healthy immune system responses. Try NOW Real Tea® Dandelion Cleansing Herbal Tea.
- Go Back to Beautiful Basics. The best way to ensure you're using only natural, chemical-free beauty, skincare and personal care products is to make them yourself using household ingredients. For example, coconut oil or sweet almond oil are great for removing make-up and even using as toothpaste. Or, for a simple skin body scrub, mix two cups NOW® Solutions Almond Oil, two cups sea salt and 45 drops of your favorite essential oil. Note: NOW® Solutions' essential oils are highly concentrated and may irritate skin if used undiluted. Avoid direct contact with skin and always follow recommended dilution instructions.
- Pick Plant Power. A plant-based diet is the ultimate support for a detox diet. A whole-food, plant-based diet is free of toxins that are found in animals, such as antibiotics and hormones. Plant-based diets are also rich in antioxidants, natural cleansing constituents like fiber and water, and contain proteins that are less acidic and friendlier to your body than those from animal sources. One of the easiest ways to ensure you're getting enough protein is to add a scoop or two of plant protein powder to your meals, whether it's mixed in yogurt, blended into a smoothie, etc. A great-tasting protein that mixes easily is NOW® Sports Plant Protein Complex. This non-GMO blend of brown rice, pea, hemp and quinoa provides 22 grams of protein per scoop, and it comes in a delicious Creamy Vanilla flavor.
- Shop Smarter. Make over your pantry with smarter solutions. Start with the basics, like cooking oil. Ellyndale® Foods makes a line of premium-grade, gourmet and non-GMO cooking oils that can make a difference in the finished recipe. Available in a variety of flavors, like Almond Oil, Avocado Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and more. Another item to swap is all-purpose white flours for more fiber and protein-rich flours such as almond, coconut and chickpea flours.
To coordinate an interview with Amie and receive a preview of her book, email Alana.Horinko@nowfoods.com. All NOW products are available at health food stores nationwide and also at www.nowfoods.com. To stay up-to-date on NOW news, follow them on Instagram at http://bit.ly/1P5xJSO, as well as Facebook and Twitter.
Founded by Elwood Richard in 1968 on the belief that natural is better, NOW has grown from a small family operation into one of the most highly respected manufacturers in the natural products industry. Still a family-owned company today, NOW provides customers with a comprehensive approach to wellness by offering more than 1,400 dietary supplements, foods, sports nutrition and personal care products. NOW is committed to offering safe, affordable products of the highest quality, and is a highly regarded advocate in the natural products industry. Its state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Bloomingdale, Ill., has been GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice)-certified since 2000 and its in-house laboratory capabilities are among the best in the industry. The company has over 1500 employees, and its products are sold in more than 70 countries. After more than 45 years in the natural products industry, NOW remains committed to its original mission – to provide value in products and services that empower people to lead healthier lives.
About Amie Valpone
Amie Valpone, HCC, AADP, and the founder of TheHealthyApple.com, healed herself from a decade of chronic illness. Amie cooks for a variety of clients, including celebrities, using organic, anti-inflammatory foods to create recipes and meal plans. She lives in New York City.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Alana Horinko, 630-545-9098 Alana.Horinko@nowfoods.com
SOURCE NOW Foods