Olds College Wraps Up Its Centennial and Leaves an Enduring Legacy with a Net Surplus Cheque Presentation of $ 1,075,000
OLDS, Alberta, Nov. 23, 2013 /CNW/ - Olds College celebrated its final Signature Centennial Event today as it hosted its official wrap up event at the Olds Agricultural Society Cow Palace. This event, with over 500 guests in attendance, was a thank you to all the volunteers, staff, students, sponsors and alumni that helped celebrate this impressive milestone.
The timing of the Appreciation Event was significant as November 21, 1913 marked the grand opening of the Olds School of Agriculture and Home Economics. Residents of Olds marveled at the throngs that crowed into town on Friday, November 21, 1913 to witness the grand opening of the School.
The day was capped off when Bill Quinney, Chairman of the Olds College Centennial Governance Team, presented a cheque for $ 1,075,000, representing the net surplus of the Centennial, to Olds College President Dr H.J (Tom) Thompson and Board Chair Barry Mehr that will be directed to the Centennial Entrepreneurial Legacy Fund.
"Through the efforts of our dedicated volunteers and Olds College staff members, as well as the support of our community, alumni and sponsors, the Olds College Centennial was a great success," explains Quinney. "When we first began discussing how to celebrate the one hundredth year of Olds College, we realized that one single day of celebration would not suffice. We needed a year-long celebration, with key signature events that included all of our supporters, and reflected our agricultural roots, our innovative spirit, and the strength of our community partnerships. Our Centennial Signature Events were a fitting celebration for our first incredible one hundred years, and for our journey into the future."
Through the entire year, Olds College has brought many of our stakeholders together for its Centennial celebrations. The Signature Events, both on the college campus, and in and around the community, have been very memorable.
But this has been about more than a Centennial celebration. The College is committed to ensuring that the legacy celebrating our 100 years is carried forward into the next 100 years as well. To do that, the Board and Centennial Governance Team created the Centennial Entrepreneurial Legacy Fund, to be used to fund entrepreneurial activities at Olds College well after the Centennial. The Centennial Entrepreneurial Legacy Fund will position Olds College "to be indisputably recognized as Canada's entrepreneurial College."
Through the support of our Centennial, we are working to ensure the legacy we have created from our inception carries forward into our next 100 years.
"While it is important to recognize the amazing impact of our Centennial Signature Events, it is also important to recognize that these events would not have been possible without our amazing staff, volunteers, alumni and sponsors" stated Olds College President, (H. J.) Tom Thompson. "And because of the countless hours that have been put into these events, and the generosity of our dozens of Centennial Sponsors, we are able to assist our students, through the Centennial Entrepreneurial Legacy Fund, which will contribute to the success of Olds College into the next 100 years." This is yet another example of the Central Albertan community, and our partners in industry, showing an unparalleled amount of support to not only our institution, but to our students as well."
The twelve Olds College Centennial Signature Events had over 700 volunteers in total, many who volunteered at multiple events, in addition to the support of Olds College staff members who helped guide these events. With over 22,000 total participants and spectators, from not only Central Alberta, but from around the globe, Olds College's Centennial Celebration has been a success and an enduring legacy of the College.
Olds College hosted twelve Centennial Signature Events as a year-long celebration of our first one hundred years. They included:
- Official Olds College Centennial Launch - February 22, 2013
- Olds College welcomed over 250 guests to the Alumni Centre for the official launch of its Centennial and the unveiling of the Canada Post Olds College Commemorative Envelope. The event also featured:
- $100,000 cheque presentation for the Centennial from the Deputy Premier and Minister of Enterprise and Advanced Education Mr. Thomas Lukaszuk.
- Launch of the Official Centennial Song and Music Video, by Alumni Denver Daines
- Launch of the Connect Your Passion Initiative
- Alberta Students' Executive Council Conference - March 2-3, 2013
- Hosted 15 schools
- Showcase of the school, campus and initiatives across the College
- Alberta Deans of Business Case Competition - March 7 - 9, 2013
- Teams of business students from 13 post-secondary institutions in Alberta competed in the 8th Annual Alberta Deans of Business Case Competition.
- Over 150 guests, including students, Deans, Faculty Advisors, Volunteers, Internal Guests, Judges, and External Guests and Sponsors
- Centennial Gala - March 22, 2013
- The event was attended by over 650 people
- The profit from the event was approximately $84,000
- In attendance were Premier Alison Redford, and other high ranking government officials, as well as numerous sponsors, local businesses and dignitaries, alumni, and staff.
- 4-H Alberta Provincial Communication Finals - April 6, 2013
- Olds College and 4-H Canada were both celebrating Centennials in 2013 it was deemed a good fit to hold the 4-H Alberta Provincial Communication Finals
- We hosted over 400 guests, with 100 being 4-H members
- Official Launch of The Fashion Institute - April 12, 2013
- Celebrated the opening of our Calgary Campus located at Bow Valley College South Campus
- Featured guests including political dignitaries, alumni, potential sponsors, industry partners and key stakeholders
- The Equine Centennial Games and Centered Riding Clinic - April 29/30, 2013
- Various components of the Equine Science program were demonstrated including English and Western riding, a stallion presentation and mare/foal parade, chute jumping, mechanical cow demonstration and draft horse driving. Following the showcase a Wine and Cheese reception was held for the staff, student volunteers and guests, and members of the college community, and a centered riding clinic with world renowned clinician, Peggy Brown. Over 200 people attended this event.
- The Olds College Centennial Community Celebration - June 20-22, 2013
- In partnership with the Town of Olds, Mountain View County and Uptowne Olds staged a three day Community Celebration, drawing over 3000 people.
- Activities included; Centennial Cake Contest, 2pancake breakfasts, street naming of "College Way", Royal Tyrell Museum display, Façade Unveiling, Uptowne Olds Summer Oldstice Festival and concluded with a 45 minute fireworks display
- J.C. (Jack) Anderson Charity Auto Auction - June 21-23, 2013
- 6,000 people attended various activities and events associated with the auction.
- 400 volunteers donated over 10, 000 hours of time, and over 960 bidders attended.
- The final event profit of $1,162,482.00 on over 100 vintage cars donated to Olds College by J.C. (Jack) Anderson.
- The 2013 World Plowing Championship - July 19 - 20, 2013
- Over the course of the two day event; 57 competitors from 29 countries took part.
- Attended by over 11,000 spectators with 475 international guests.
- Over 300 volunteers
- The event also featured; a Vintage Farm Equipment Display and daily parade, kids' activities, live entertainment, trade show, horse plowing and more!
- The event generated local, national and international media coverage.
- 21st Annual Olds College Centennial Fall Golf Classic - September 16, 2013
- Hosted at the Olds Golf Course. We were oversold with golfers, at 152, and were lucky to have Lanny McDonald join us as our honorary chair for the event. The event was sold out 5 weeks before the tournament date.
- Centennial Homecoming and Fall Rodeo - October 18-19, 2013
- Close to 200 Alumni attended homecoming celebrations and dinner and dance,
- Fall Rodeo with close to 200 participants
- Opening weekend for sports participating in ACAC
SOURCE Olds College
Image with caption: "Olds College Centennial Surplus Cheque Presentation - Barry Mehr, Tom Thompson and Bill Quinney (CNW Group/Olds College)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20131123_C4377_PHOTO_EN_33790.jpg