One Million First Dates: America's Modern Love Stories Sparked by Surprising Activities
An interactive map by HowAboutWe.com explores the leading date destinations of singles across the US
BROOKLYN, N.Y., Jan. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- With the scales of single versus married Americans in increasingly even balance, the number of first dates occurring across our 50 states is higher than ever. So after planning, preening and soothing first-date palpitations, where are these singles heading? An interactive map exploring one million dates created on experience-driven dating site HowAboutWe attempts to answer that question - and it's not always where you'd think.
For example, Sin City singles flee the strip in favor of connecting to nature and their communities on first dates, with the most popular activities including hiking, volunteering and painting. Post-paintbrush, the pair is most likely to grab vegetarian food - a far stretch from the buffet fantasies of Las Vegas's 36 million yearly tourists.
In Denver, sunshine-loving fitness fans are most likely to hop on bikes and test their chemistry over gourmet tacos. In cloudy Portland, daters choose tea over coffee and use literature preferences as a clue for compatibility. And in Minneapolis, up-for-anything twosomes play more paintball than daters in any other city.
Facts like these are among hundreds of fascinating results from the HowAboutWe study, which analyzed millions of data points from the dating habits of singles across the US. Displayed in a simple, interactive infographic, the results uncover everything from the most popular local date destinations to America's ongoing obsession with artisanal breweries and food trucks, exploring the quirks and similarities in over one million quests to find love.
National Dating Insights According to HowAboutWe.com:
- On the majority of US dates, melting the ice is first order of duty - over 62% of first dates involve alcohol
- West Coast cities represented 9 of the top 10 cities for sports and fitness dates, while East Coast cities posted significantly more drinking dates
- Socially conscious Detroit singles are twice as likely to propose a volunteering date than fellow single Americans
- High-energy New Yorkers love progressive dining more than anyone else - 28% of their dining dates include multiple stops
- Los Angeles' laid-back singles are the most avid planners of breakfast and yoga dates
- Asian cuisine reigns supreme for Houston singles, where Chinese (#1), Vietnamese (#4) and Sushi (#5) are among the most popular date night foods
- Friendly competition helps new couples connect in most US cities, with bowling and board games a popular activity across the US
- Single fitness enthusiasts in Phoenix favor flirting their way up Camelback Mountain, one of the city's most beautiful hiking destinations
- Fried Oreos, great BBQ and warm pie top the list of homey treats shared between Atlanta singles
The company behind the interactive map, HowAboutWe, is the first online dating service to focus on offline experiences, and provides the simplest way to go on dates with local singles. On HowAboutWe.com, members say "How about we..." and fill in the dots with the dates they want to go on, then connect with singles in their area who are interested in doing that too.
In addition to helping HowAboutWe members find love, the company helps members stay in love with new services that support the relationships of couples. Currently available in NYC, HowAboutWe for Couples provides members-only access to curated collections of dates built for two, handpicked for their quality and originality.
For more stats and information about dating trends in cities across the US, visit www.howaboutwe.com/onemilliondates.
Data results were sourced from a HowAboutWe study analyzing over one million dates posted on HowAboutWe.com between April of 2010 and September of 2012. The infographic, which represents a visualization of dating trends in 25 American cities, is a project of HowAboutWe.
HowAboutWe (www.howaboutwe.com) is an experience-driven dating and relationships brand that helps people find and sustain love. Founded by Brian Schechter and Aaron Schildkrout , HowAboutWe provides products and services that make it easier and more fun to go on exceptional dates, helping singles and couples enjoy more natural, memorable experiences built for two. Uniquely, HowAboutWe is the first online dating company to focus on offline experiences, using digital technology to increase the frequency of real-world interactions. HowAboutWe launched in 2010 and is a Brooklyn-based company.
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.