Oracle(R) and LSI Deliver Breakthrough Benchmark Performance Utilizing Oracle Database 11g for File System Storage
Oracle SecureFiles Running on LSI Engenio 7900 Delivers Performance and Scalability; Offers Leading Solution for Unstructured Data Management
REDWOOD SHORES, Calif.,
- Continuing their commitment to help customers optimize business operations and enterprise infrastructure, Oracle and LSI Corporation (NYSE: LSI) today announced that they have achieved breakthrough performance for Oracle Database 11g SecureFiles utilizing the LSI(TM) Engenio(R) 7900 Storage System.
- Oracle and LSI developed a clustered file system benchmark to demonstrate that Oracle SecureFiles delivers comparable file-system-like performance with increased scalability using a database for storing and managing structured and unstructured data.
- Oracle SecureFiles, a key feature of Oracle Database 11g, enables customers to store unstructured file content such as images, audio, video, PDFs and spreadsheets. Oracle SecureFiles is engineered to deliver high performance for file data comparable to that of traditional file systems while retaining the reliability, scalability and security advantages of Oracle Database 11g.
- Breakthrough performance of 4.5GB/sec was achieved running Oracle SecureFiles BLOBs (binary large objects) on an LSI Engenio 7900 storage system. This data throughput is comparable to an application streaming large files, like images, audio or video content.
- This benchmark result also demonstrated outstanding performance for databases in managing small- to medium-sized BLOBs in the database. Oracle SecureFiles features world class performance for managing files in the database by delivering an astounding 171 million document reads per hour.
- The LSI Engenio 7900 storage system configuration consisted of 243 Fibre Channel 15Krpm drives attached to seven-node IBM System x3950 M2 server cluster running 8 to 16 CPUs and 32GB to 64GB of memory. When measured from one-, four-, and seven-node configurations, Oracle SecureFiles with Oracle Real Application Clusters shows outstanding scalability using the Engenio 7900, achieving 700 MB/sec, 2.8GB/sec and 4.5GB/sec, respectively, while maintaining superior performance and availability.
- Based on seventh-generation XBB2 architecture, the LSI Engenio 7900 storage system delivers industry-leading bandwidth to support the most demanding mixed-application workloads and the real-world challenges of large-scale server virtualization and consolidation implementations. The system combines high reliability and availability features to help ensure continuous high-speed data access. In addition, the 7900's multi-dimensional adaptability features allow customers to adapt to evolving infrastructure, capacity and application requirements. LSI also recently announced 8GFC host connectivity for the 7900 system, which provides headroom for even greater performance results.
- "Traditionally, relational data is stored in a database while unstructured data is stored as files in file systems. Oracle SecureFiles optimizes the use of the database for storage of all enterprise data, structured or unstructured," said
Juan Loaiza, senior vice president, Systems Technology, Oracle. "Based on the performance results we've achieved in benchmark tests, Oracle SecureFiles can provide customers with performance that is far greater than file systems - offering a best-of-both-worlds architecture."
- "Through our benchmark testing with Oracle, we've established the LSI Engenio 7900 system as the world's leading reference architecture for SecureFiles," said
Vic Mahadevan, vice president of marketing and product management, Engenio Storage Group, LSI. "Whether the data is structured or unstructured, the 7900 provides superior price/performance and scalability for database and data warehousing workloads at a low cost of ownership."
Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL) is the world's largest business software company. For more information about Oracle, please visit our Web site at http://www.oracle.com.
LSI Corporation (NYSE: LSI) is a leading provider of innovative silicon, systems and software technologies that enable products which seamlessly bring people, information and digital content together. The company offers a broad portfolio of capabilities and services including custom and standard product ICs, adapters, systems and software that are trusted by the world's best known brands to power leading solutions in the Storage and Networking markets. More information is available at www.lsi.com.
LSI, the LSI logo and Engenio are trademarks or registered trademarks of LSI Corporation.
Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.