OSC launches registrant outreach to improve dialogue with Ontario registrants
TORONTO, July 22, 2013 /CNW/ - To promote stronger compliance practices and enhance investor protection, the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) is strengthening its communication with registrants through a newly launched 'Registrant Outreach' program.
The Program, featuring a dedicated web page and educational seminars, facilitates a more interactive dialogue with Ontario registrants and will provide registrants with easy to access compliance-related information in one convenient location.
"Registrants are a vital component of Ontario's capital market and it's important that we provide them with tailored tools and guidance to foster strong regulatory compliance, which leads to enhanced investor protection," said Debra Foubert, Director, Compliance and Registrant Regulation at the OSC. "We have a responsibility to strengthen our lines of communication with registrants and work with them to achieve efficient and effective capital markets."
Outreach Program Initiatives
Dedicated web page
The Program features a dedicated web page for registrants, which has been designed to enhance awareness of topical compliance issues. Registrants are encouraged to check the web on a regular basis for updates on regulatory issues impacting Ontario registrants.
Beginning in September, the OSC will host a series of targeted seminars to provide registrants with practical knowledge on compliance related matters. The seminars will feature topics including how to get through an OSC compliance review and understanding KYC (know your client) and suitability obligations. Interested registrants can find the seminar calendar and course descriptions on the registrant outreach web page.
Registrants are also encouraged to join the OSC's Registrant Outreach Community to receive regular email updates on OSC policies impacting registrants, as well as the latest publications and guidance on the OSC's expectations regarding compliance.
- The OSC oversees approximately 1,300 firms and 66,000 individuals in Ontario.
- The Registrant Outreach program is led by the Compliance and Registrant Regulation branch, which regulates firms and individuals in the business of advising or trading in securities or commodity futures, and firms that manage investment funds in Ontario.
- The OSC conducts compliance reviews of advisers, exempt market dealers, scholarship plan dealers and investment fund managers throughout the year to monitor their compliance with Ontario securities law.
- Using a risk assessment model, the OSC conducts on-site and desk reviews of firms.
- Firms may also be reviewed as part of a "sweep" on a particular topic of interest or issue identified by the OSC.
Key policy initiatives impacting registrants
- Cost disclosure, performance reporting and client statements
- Potential best interest standard for dealers and advisers
- Review of prospectus exemptions
- 2012 Annual Survey Report for Dealers, Advisors and Investment Fund Managers
- Portfolio Managers and Exempt Market Dealers suitability sweep
- New initiatives: Enhanced transparency of communications with registrants
The OSC is the regulatory body responsible for overseeing Ontario's capital markets. The OSC administers and enforces Ontario's securities and commodity futures laws. Its mandate is to provide protection to investors from unfair, improper or fraudulent practices and to foster fair and efficient capital markets and confidence in capital markets.
SOURCE Ontario Securities Commission