CHARLOTTE, N.C., Jan. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- As most business leaders and consumers realize, information security and availability are increasingly in the news and of concern particularly as data shifts to the cloud. A national leader in IT infrastructure and cloud services, Peak 10, is at the forefront of the movement to ensure data security and availability with the successful completion of its annual assessments and issuance of auditor's reports documenting its operations and compliance program.
A variety of regulations and industry standards require businesses that collect, store, process or maintain sensitive data to comply with stringent requirements to ensure security. Failure to comply can cost businesses thousands of dollars in penalties and fines. Since inception, Peak 10 has proactively implemented the necessary safeguards within its data centers to assist customers in cost-effectively meeting such regulatory compliance requirements. In 2011, Peak 10 was the first in the industry to complete a Type 2 SOC 1 examination under the Statement on Standards for Attestation Engagements (SSAE) 16 and International Standard on Assurance Engagements (ISAE) No. 3402.
"A strong compliance program with careful adherence to industry-specific standards provides our customers protection of their critical data and applications. This has always been and will continue to be a top priority for Peak 10 and we take extraordinary measures to safeguard and maintain the systems our customers depend upon," said David Kidd, director of quality assurance and compliance for Peak 10. "Peak 10 makes significant investments to help ensure our data centers and cloud services meet the compliance needs of our customers; this is a commitment which gives our customers peace-of-mind and helps reduce the cost of our customers' own compliance programs."
To enhance its compliance reporting, Peak 10 successfully completed the following examinations in 2013:
- Type 2, SOC 1, reporting on Controls at a Service Organization (also known as SSAE 16). This report is an important component of controls over financial reporting for purposes of compliance with laws and regulations such as the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. Peak 10's examination documented controls in the following areas:
- Physical security
- Environmental security
- Cloud, network services and monitoring
- Logical security
- Infrastructure change management
- Type 2, SOC 2, reporting on controls at a service organization relevant to the following Trust Services principles:
- Security - The system is protected against unauthorized access (both physical and logical).
- Availability - The system is available for operation and use as committed or agreed.
- Type 2 SOC 3, SysTrust for Service Organizations, which is an abbreviated version of Peak 10's SOC 2 report, and is intended for broad use by interested parties.
- Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) for companies that collect, store or process payment card data.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) for companies that need to keep electronic protected health information (ePHI) secure.
- Safe Harbor, which requires U.S. companies to meet the European Union (EU) standards for privacy protection.
Peak 10 also assists its clients who serve government agencies in meeting the Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) which sets forth stringent requirements to safeguard data managed by federal agencies and their outsourced partners.
"There are very few cloud providers that are able to provide a compliance program with this depth; SOC 1, SOC 2, SOC 3, PCI DSS, Safe Harbor and HIPAA compliance are of critical importance to our customers and that makes it important to us as well," added Kidd. "Secure access to critical information systems is of utmost importance to our customers, especially those in the financial, retail, and healthcare industries, which is why we made it a key part of our compliance program."
Headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., Peak 10 operates 23 data centers in 10 key markets in the U.S., serving customers around the globe.
About Peak 10 Inc.
Peak 10 provides reliable, tailored cloud computing, data center and other information technology (IT) infrastructure solutions and managed services, primarily for mid-market businesses. Customer-centric, responsive and cost-effective, Peak 10 solutions are designed to scale and adapt to customers' changing business needs, enabling them to increase agility, lower costs, improve performance and focus internal resources on their core competencies. Peak 10 holds the Cisco® Cloud Provider Certification with a Cisco Powered Cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) designation. Peak 10 undergoes annual examinations by third party auditors and helps companies meet the requirements of various regulatory and industry standards such as SOC 1, SOC 2, SOC 3, Safe Harbor, HIPAA, PCI DSS, FISMA and ITAR. For more information, visit www.peak10.com. Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook.
SOURCE Peak 10 Inc.