HARRISBURG, Pa., March 16, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Education and outreach staff from the Department of Banking and Securities will be meeting with consumers across Pennsylvania during the month of April to discuss financial topics as part of Governor Tom Wolf's Consumer Financial Protection Initiative.
For Senior Citizens
The presentation "Spending Plans" – which outlines the differences between wants and needs; setting "SMART" goals; creating a spending plan; and putting the plan into action – will be offered at the Benton Senior Center in Benton on April 18 at 10:00 A.M.
The presentation "Save and Invest PA!" -- which introduces students and young adults to the concepts and practices of saving, investing, and protecting themselves from financial scams -- will be offered to students at the following schools:
- Plymouth Whitemarsh/Colonial High School in Plymouth Meeting on April 4
- Tyrone Area High School in Tyrone on April 5
- Riverview High School in Oakmont on April 6
- Penn-Trafford High School in Harrison City on April 20
- Avonworth High School in Pittsburgh on April 21
The "Save and Invest PA!" program is also being offered to members and advisors of the Pennsylvania Future Business Leaders of America at the organization's State Leadership Conference in Hershey on April 11 and April 12.
The "Right on the Money" after school program, which is geared to help elementary school students learn about the importance of saving money, will be offered at the Greater Olney Library in Philadelphia on April 21 at 4:30 P.M.
For General Audiences
The presentation "Avoiding Scams and ID Theft" -- which helps consumers protect themselves from financial scams as well as inform victims of scams how to get help -- will be offered at the following locations:
- Barrett Senior Center in Cresco on April 4 at 11:00 A.M.
- Marple Township Building in Broomall on April 19 at 10:00 A.M.
- Chestnut Hill Senior Center/Zion Lutheran Church Assembly Hall in Brodheadsville on April 27 at 11:00 A.M.
The presentation "Banking Basics" -- which provides an overview of how banks and credit unions work -- will be offered at the Adult Senior Center at KleinLife in Philadelphia on April 8 at 9:30 A.M.
The presentation "Working with the Department of Banking and Securities" -- which discusses the work of the department and how department staff can help consumers -- will be offered at the Center in the Park in Philadelphia on April 8 at 12:00 P.M.
Doug Hassenbein, Investor Education Coordinator, will be speaking at the "What Does Financial Literacy Mean to Me?" contest at Harrisburg University in Harrisburg on April 18. The event begins at 5:30 P.M. More info: http://bit.ly/1pkMMPC
Representatives from the department will be participating at following consumer expos and fairs:
- Employee and Student Benefits and Wellness Fair at the Community College of Allegheny County/Boyce Campus in Monroeville on April 6 from 11:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M.
- Senator Jim Brewster's Senior Wellness and Safety Expo at VFW Post 92 in Lower Burrell on April 7 from 1:30 A.M. to 1:00 P.M.
- Senator Richard Alloway's Senior Expo at Cross Keys Village in New Oxford on April 15 from 10:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M.
- Philadelphia Veteran Affairs Annual Employee Retirement Event at the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office and Insurance Center in Philadelphia on April 20
- Community Action Association of Pennsylvania Annual Conference at the Red Lion Hotel in Harrisburg on April 20 and April 21
- Representative John D. Payne's Annual Health Expo at the Hummelstown Chemical Fire Department in Hummelstown on April 29 from 9:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M.
The department's education presentations address three goals of Governor Tom Wolf's new Consumer Financial Protection Initiative, announced last November.
The Department of Banking and Securities offers a number of education presentations designed to help consumers of all ages learn how to protect and grow their money. The presentation Calendar of Events can be found online: http://bit.ly/1KIscBZ. Consumers can call 1-800-PA-BANKS for more information or learn more online: http://bit.ly/1UYPruj.
Media contact: Ed Novak, 717-783-4721
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities