HARRISBURG, Pa., Feb. 17, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Education and outreach staff from the Department of Banking and Securities will be meeting with consumers across Pennsylvania during the month of March to discuss financial topics as part of Governor Tom Wolf's Consumer Financial Protection Initiative.
For Senior Citizens
The presentation "Spending Plans" – which outlines the differences between wants and needs; setting "SMART" goals; creating a spending plan; and putting the plan into action – will be offered at the following locations:
- Thursday, March 17, at the Penn Kidder Senior Center in Jim Thorpe at 11:00 A.M.
- Monday, March 21, at the Weatherly Senior Center in Weatherly at 11:00 A.M.
- Tuesday, March 22, at the Panther Valley Senior Center in Nesquehoning at 11:00 A.M.
- Thursday, March 31, at the Palmerton Senior Center in Palmerton at 10:30 A.M.
The presentation "Understanding Reverse Mortgages" -- which discusses basics of reverse mortgages, their pros and cons, the need for counseling and family consultations, and the rights and obligations of a homeowner who has a reverse mortgage – will be offered at a meeting of the Porter Tower Lions Club in Tower City on March 24.
For Students and Young Adults
The presentation "Save and Invest PA!" -- which introduces students and young adults to the concepts and practices of saving, investing, and protecting themselves from financial scams -- will be offered to Kutztown University students, faculty, and staff in 113 Stratton Administration Center on Tuesday, March 29, at 11:00 A.M.
Representatives of the department will be participating in the Kutztown University Senior Graduation Expo on Monday, March 28, and Tuesday, March 29, from 11:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M.
For General Audiences
The presentation "Avoiding Scams and ID Theft" -- which helps consumers protect themselves from financial scams as well as inform victims of scams how to get help -- will be offered at The Williamsport Home in Williamsport on the following dates:
- Tuesday, March 29, at 3:00 P.M.
- Wednesday, March 30, at 10:00 A.M.
- Wednesday, March 30, at 2:00 P.M.
The presentation "Banking Basics" -- which provides an overview of how banks and credit unions work -- will be offered at the following locations:
- Older Adult Sunshine Center in Philadelphia on Tuesday, March 1, at 10:30 A.M.
- West Philadelphia Senior Community Center in Philadelphia on Wednesday, March 16, at 10:00 A.M.
Representatives from the department will be participating at consumer protection fairs on the following dates:
- Friday, March 4, in the Macy's Concourse of Millcreek Mall in Erie from 10:30 A.M. to 3:30 P.M.
- Tuesday, March 8, in the Main Rotunda of the Capitol Complex in Harrisburg from 10:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.
- Tuesday, March 8, in the City County Building in Pittsburgh from 10:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.
- Wednesday, March 9, at the Mall at Steamtown in Scranton from 10:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.
- Thursday, March 17, at Bethel Community Baptist Church in Upper Darby from 4:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M.
The department's education presentations address three goals of Governor Tom Wolf's new Consumer Financial Protection Initiative, announced last November.
The Department of Banking and Securities offers a number of education presentations designed to help consumers of all ages learn how to protect and grow their money. The presentation Calendar of Events can be found online: http://bit.ly/1KIscBZ. Consumers can call 1-800-PA-BANKS for more information or learn more online: http://bit.ly/20Y5iuk.
Media contact: Ed Novak, 717-783-4721
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities