Pennsylvanians Urged to Stay Safe, Obey State Laws Regarding Fireworks
"Every year, we hear about deaths and injuries caused by careless use of fireworks," said State Fire Commissioner
"Fireworks are an
Consumer fireworks, including firecrackers, roman candles and mortars, are prohibited, unless a buyer is granted a permit from his or her local municipality and purchases them from a dealer licensed by the Department of Agriculture.
All display fireworks are prohibited.
"A happy 4th of July celebration can quickly turn tragic if fireworks are used without taking the proper precautions," said
Mann shared the following safety tips from the National Council on Fireworks Safety:
- Sparklers should always be used under close adult supervision.
- Always remain standing while using sparklers.
- Never hold a child in your arms while using sparklers.
- Sparklers and bare feet can be a painful combination. Always wear closed-toe shoes when using sparklers.
- Stand at least six feet from other people while using sparklers.
- Show children how to hold sparklers away from their body and at arm's length.
- Teach children not to wave sparklers, especially wooden stick sparklers, and not to run while holding burning sparklers.
- Never hand a lighted sparkler to another person.
- Never hold, or light more than one sparkler at a time.
- Sparkler wires and sticks remain hot long after the flame has gone out. Be sure to drop the spent sparkler directly into a bucket of water.
For more information on
CONTACT: Ruth A. Myers (OSFC) (717) 651-2009 Jack Lewis (PSP) (717) 783-5556 Nicole L. C. Bucher (Agriculture) 717) 787-5085
SOURCE Pennsylvania Office of the State Fire Commissioner
More by this Source
Pennsylvanians Urged to Change Batteries in Smoke Alarms When Changing Clocks This Weekend
Nov 01, 2013, 13:40 ET
Pennsylvanians Urged to Observe Fire Prevention Week
Oct 04, 2013, 12:15 ET
Pennsylvanians Urged to be Safe, Follow State Laws When Using Fireworks
Jun 28, 2013, 11:57 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.