SILICON VALLEY, Calif., March 20, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Just in time for tax season, today Personal Capital published a comprehensive book on how to minimize taxes on your investments. Congress created numerous tax breaks for families saving for retirement – this book shows you how to use them.
"It's not what you make that counts – it's what you keep," said Bill Harris, Personal Capital CEO and author of the guide. "Tax time is a great time to review your strategy for saving taxes on your investments. This book has everything you need to know, and nothing you don't."
Investment Tax Guide covers each of the key tactics for tax optimization:
- Tax Loss Harvest – create tax benefits from investment losses
- Defer Gains – postpone or eliminate taxes on investment gains
- Defer Short-Term Gains – slash your tax rate on gains by holding for one year
- Avoid Mutual Funds – they're tax inefficient
- Tax-Advantaged Securities – use municipal bonds in high tax brackets
- Tax-Advantaged Accounts – maximize the value of your 401k, 403b or IRA
- Roth Conversions – turn your IRA into a super-charged tax minimization machine
- Primary Residence – shelter up to $500,000 of gain when you sell your house
- Tax Location – put income-generating assets in tax-deferred accounts and capital gain-generating assets in taxable accounts
"Why do you need this book?" said Harris. "Because most people who call themselves financial advisors are actually brokers. Brokers sell what makes them money, not what makes you money. Too often they don't care about the fees they charge or the taxes you pay, and they've descended on Washington to repeal the rules designed to protect your retirement savings. So, defend yourself: First, read this book. Second, fire your broker and find a true advisor – the book tells you how to tell the difference."
Investment Tax Guide is 200 full-color pages, available on Amazon for $19.95. Until April 15, both paperback and e-book editions are available for free at personalcapital.com/tax.
About Personal Capital
Personal Capital is the smart way to track and manage your financial life. Personal Capital combines award-winning online financial tools that provide unprecedented transparency into your finances with personal attention from dedicated financial advisors – true "fiduciary" advisors. The result is a complete transformation in the way you understand, manage and grow your net worth.
Marianne Ahlmann | Personal Capital | firstname.lastname@example.org
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/personal-capital-publishes-investment-tax-guide-300425815.html
SOURCE Personal Capital