Petco Thanks Pet Parents For Giving A Shelter Pet A Home During the Monthly National Adoption Weekend, Petco Tips Their Hat to Pet Parents While Helping Shelter Dogs and Cats Find Loving Homes
SAN DIEGO, Nov. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Where would pets be in this world without loving pet parents? Because of them, animals that may have been euthanized are given a second chance at life, and what better time to reflect on this gift than Thanksgiving. As the holiday approaches, Petco wants to say Thanks-For-Giving a shelter pet a home to all who've adopted, and hopes to encourage those who may be considering adding a pet to their family to adopt at the National Adoption Weekend taking place November 17-18th, 2012.
Last month, pet lovers across the nation helped save the lives of 4,654 shelter animals during the Second Annual National Adoption Reunion, and Petco hopes to increase that number this month during the National Adoption Weekend events.
To help those who may be considering adding a pet to their family, here are five reasons why pet adoption is the right way to go:
Five Reasons to Adopt:
- Approximately 5 million to 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year, and approximately 3 million to 4 million are euthanized. That means an animal is euthanized every eight seconds. Adopting a shelter pet can help lower these frightening statistics.
- Join the majority! About 62 percent of all households in the United States have a pet and about 90 percent of those pet owners consider their pet a member of the family.
- Adoption is cost effective. According to the National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy (NCPPSP), free or low cost pets make up 65% of all pets owned. Plus, most adoption organizations only charge an adoption fee to cover the cost of veterinarian care, vaccinations and spay or neuter surgery that will typically be a fraction of the cost of purchasing a pet.
- Pets can attribute to better health. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Institute of Health (NIH) have both conducted heart-related studies on people who have pets. The findings showed that pet owners exhibit decreased blood pressure, cholesterol and triglyceride levels -- all of which can ultimately minimize their risk for having a heart attack down the road.
- Shelter pets make great pets. Most pets for adoption were relinquished because of the personal problems of their owners such as lost job, moving, divorce, allergies, lack of time to care for the pet, sick or deceased owner, etc. and are not relinquished due to the fault or behavior of the animal.
Adoption events will be taking place at every Petco and Unleashed by Petco store nationwide the weekend of November 17-18th 2012. Pet adoption times vary, so it's recommended to contact the nearest Petco location for adoption hours. For more information visit petco.com/adoptions.
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and advice that make it easier for our customers to be great pet parents. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,150 stores nationwide, including more than 50 Unleashed by Petco locations, a smaller format neighborhood shop, and www.petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has raised more than $100 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support approximately 8,000 local animal welfare groups across the country to help find homes for more than 250,000 animals through in-store adoption events every year.