NORWALK, Conn., Aug. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- UBM Medica US announces that Psychiatric Times, a leading online community for mental health professionals, presents up-to-date reporting by leaders in the field in psychiatry in the area of cultural psychiatry and minority mental health.
Among the features this month found online and in the print edition of Psychiatric Times:
- Cultural Disparities in Mental Health Care: Closing the Gap: Because mental illness is less likely to be diagnosed and treated in minorities who are more likely to die by suicide, an overview by Series Chair, Deborah Goebert, DrPH, is particularly timely, coming as it does on the heels of National Minority Mental Health Awareness Month in July.
- Advances in Psychiatry: Understanding Indigenous Cultures: A child and adolescent psychiatrist describes her work with the Maori people of New Zealand, who are approximately twice as likely to have serious psychiatric illness as non-Maori.
- Sharing the Burden of Intercultural Stress: The manner in which a clinician enters the examination room and approaches and engages with a patient of a different culture and his or her family can either set off— or relieve —"culture shock."
- Youth-led Suicide Prevention in an Indigenous Rural Community: Suicide is a pervasive public health issue for adolescents. Here's how Hawaii responded to empower young leaders in suicide prevention through evidence-based training, relationship-building, and community awareness.
- Suicide Prevention in Diverse Populations: A Systems and Readiness Approach for Emergency Settings: In response to the high rate of suicide attempts and death among US Pacific Island indigenous youths, emergency departments play a key role in suicide prevention, especially in this and other minority populations.
Psychiatric Times is the country's leading psychiatric publication and regularly publishes content on key issues in mental health.
About UBM Medica US
Addressing today's healthcare information needs, UBM Medica US, delivers strategic, integrated communications solutions and comprehensive reach -- online, in print, via custom programs and live events. Improving the effectiveness of healthcare through information and education, UBM Medica US provides unbiased clinical, practical, and business information for physicians, providers and payers resulting in improved quality of care for patients around the world. Through journals, magazines, online communities, live and digital events, and other valuable resources, UBM Medica US also delivers comprehensive communication solutions for the pharmaceutical and related industries. Online communities include CancerNetwork.com, ConsultantLive.com, DiagnosticImaging.com, RheumatologyNetwork.com, OBGYN.net, PhysiciansPractice.com, PsychiatricTimes.com and SearchMedica.com. UBM Medica US is part of UBM Connect which, through a range of aligned interactive environments, both physical and digital – increases business effectiveness for both customers and audiences through meaningful experiences, knowledge and connections. Headquartered in New York, UBM Connect brings together UBM's healthcare business, UBM Medica US; UBM Canon's advanced design and manufacturing event, online and print brands; UBM Connect New York's catering, cruise shipping, contact-center management, and fine, specialty and custom chemical communities; and UBM Mexico's concrete, construction and hospitality services shows. For more information, visit www.UBMMedicaUS.com.
About UBM plc
UBM plc is a global events-led marketing services and communications company. We help businesses do business, bringing the world's buyers and sellers together at events and online, as well as producing and distributing news and specialist content. Our 5,500 staff in more than 30 countries are organized into expert teams which serve commercial and professional communities, helping them to do business and their markets to work effectively and efficiently.
For more information, go to www.ubm.com; follow us on Twitter at @UBM_plc to get the latest UBM corporate news.
Jason J. Golden
Content Marketing Manager
SOURCE UBM Medica US