PulteGroup Survey Shows U.S. Renters' Sentiment Towards Homeownership is Improving
Majority of U.S. Renters Planning to Purchase Home to Do So Within Next Two Years
BLOOMFIELD HILLS, Mich., May 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Among renters who plan to purchase a home in the future, 60 percent have increased their intent to do so compared to 12 months ago, according to the recent PulteGroup Home Index (PGHI) survey issued by national homebuilder PulteGroup, Inc. (NYSE: PHM). Among this same group, 61 percent stated they intend to purchase a home within the next two years.
Among the top reasons renters indicate they have increased their interest in buying a home include:
- They like being able to call themselves homeowners (49 percent)
- They view it as a good financial investment (44 percent)
- They need more space for their family/kids (36 percent)
The survey also revealed that deterrents – both real and perceived – still persist, preventing some renters from pursuing or achieving the dream of homeownership. The top three reasons indicated by current renters for not purchasing a home sooner include:
- Not enough money for down payment (54 percent)
- The belief that renting is cheaper than buying (28 percent)
- Uncertainty with employment status (23 percent)
"Clearly the dream of homeownership is alive and well in America, yet we still have a ways to go to ensure more renters are able to take that important step towards buying their first home," says Deborah Meyer , senior vice president of PulteGroup. "Homeownership is more attainable than ever with historically low mortgage rates and competitive pricing, as well as affordable new homes designed for first-time home buyers coming into the market.
"We are seeing a renewed sense of optimism, especially from young professionals and young families visiting our communities nationwide," continued Meyer. "In fact, in the first quarter of this year, sales and traffic for our Centex homes, which caters to the value-conscious and first-time buyer, saw a significant improvement over last year – yet another sign of an improving housing market."
PulteGroup offers the following tips to renters considering purchasing a home:
- Compare Owning vs. Renting – Buying can be smarter than renting. Instead of your monthly payments padding your landlord's pocket, they go towards owning your home. There are many advantages to homeownership, from tax benefits to more storage space.
- Get Your Finances In Order – Line up your financing, start saving for a down payment and study available loan programs. By doing your homework, you will know exactly how much you can pay and what it will cost you.
- Determine New vs. Used – The PGHI survey showed that 63 percent of respondents will consider new construction when purchasing a home. If you want to choose the floor plan and customize a home to fit your family's needs, this may also be the right choice for you. New homes can be up to 30 percent more energy efficient and often come with a builder warranty. If you're handy and don't mind a fixer upper home, there are a bounty of resale options.
- Select the Right Builder – Begin by selecting a builder who has experience in the type of home and in the location you want. Make sure they have a history of building quality homes and are financially stable. Lastly, take time to check their references and talk to past customers.
About the Survey
The PulteGroup Home Index (PGHI) survey polled renters and homeowners around the country to identify intentions as well as motivators and deterrents around the home buying process. PulteGroup, Inc. worked with Russell Research to conduct the PGHI survey. The survey was conducted online by Russell Research from March 23 - March 26, 2012 among 506 online adults who rent a home or apartment across the United States and intend to purchase a home in the future. Figures for gender, age, and geography were weighted where necessary to match their actual proportions in the population.
About PulteGroup, Inc.
PulteGroup, Inc. (NYSE: PHM), based in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., is one of America's largest homebuilding companies with operations in approximately 60 markets throughout the country. Through its brand portfolio that includes Centex, Pulte Homes and Del Webb , the company is one of the industry's most versatile homebuilders able to meet the needs of multiple buyer groups and respond to changing consumer demand. PulteGroup conducts extensive research to provide home buyers with innovative solutions and new homes designed for the way people actually live today. As the most awarded homebuilder in customer satisfaction, PulteGroup brands have consistently ranked among top homebuilders in third-party customer satisfaction studies.
More by this Source
Despite Economy Most Homeowners Not Downsizing
Dec 18, 2012, 15:15 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.