Other key findings from the survey include:
Promotional Email Marketing Message drive engagement:
- Email discounts and offers aide in purchasing decisions for 62% of respondents
- Free shipping (41%) and "Buy One, Get One" offers (37%) are the most attractive to consumers
- Discounts appeal to women (50%) more than men (40%)
It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like… an Online Christmas
- 71% of online shoppers will purchase items anywhere it is convenient, from their mobile device, tablet or laptop
- 67% of consumers say their tablet is their preferred device for shopping online
- Nearly a third of consumers will do 75% of all of their shopping online
- Consumers aged 27-45 are most likely to do the majority of their shopping online
Mobile Friendliness is Vital in 2016 According to Ongoing Zeta Client Research
The dominance of mobile devices is confirmed when compared to 2015 mobile holiday open rates and Zeta's latest 2016 quarterly research reporting:
- 2015 open rate peak highs are this year's standards, off peak
- In 2015, mobile and tablet dominated opens and clicks on all key dates (Black Friday/Cyber Monday) with over 50% email engagement on mobile devices
- Zeta's Q3 2016 results report smart phone open share benchmarking at 57% across retail promotional messages, during a non-holiday period
- Analysis of retail clients from early 2016 holiday research found that that when conversion was tied to device, 34% percent of conversions were on mobile devices
"Zeta Global's findings provides key insight into what marketers can do to connect with consumers this holiday period to engage with consumers and spark sales," said David Daniels, CEO and Founder, The Relevancy Group. "Zeta's analysis of retailers worldwide provides an historical, real-world view of successful marketing campaigns during this highly critical time period. That research combined with the consumer behavior across five key areas – email, mobile phone, tablet, social and email marketing – will give marketers insights they need to improve their performance this holiday season. The implications of the survey are even more far reaching as they highlight fundamental shifts in consumer behavior."
"Today's digital ecosystem is becoming more complex for brands to navigate, even more so during the increasingly competitive holiday season with more choices in more places than ever," said David A. Steinberg, Zeta's CEO and Co-Founder. "It's clear that for brands to break through and connect with shoppers, they need a mobile first strategy so they can reach consumers where they are. Just as important, brands need to have relevant, impactful messages that resonate with individual consumers. Right message, right channel, right time – a promise of digital marketing for the past 20 years – can be realized with sophisticated marketers using the best solutions."
Methodology of the survey:
The Ecommerce Consumer Survey asked 1,000 consumers about their 2016 holiday spending plans and how technology will influence purchase decisions. The survey was conducted in mid-October 2016, with equal responses from men and women, with a median age of 43.
About Zeta Global:
Founded by David A. Steinberg and John Sculley (former CEO of Apple Computer and Pepsi-Cola) in 2007, Zeta is a data-driven marketing technology pioneer whose SaaS-based marketing cloud helps 500+ Fortune 1000 and Middle Market brands acquire, retain and grow customer relationships through actionable data, advanced analytics and machine learning. The Company's highly-rated technology platform that's recognized in Gartner's Magic Quadrant for Digital Marketing Hubs (January 2016) and in its Magic Quadrant for Multichannel Campaign Management (April 2016) competes with Oracle, IBM, Salesforce and Adobe. Operating in four continents with over 1,300 employees, the company is headquartered in New York City, with Centers of Excellence in Silicon Valley, Boston, London, and Hyderabad, India, and 25 additional offices around the globe.
About The Relevancy Group, LLC | www.relevancygroup.com | @RelevancyGroup
Led by tenured industry analyst and marketer David Daniels, The Relevancy Group (TRG) combines original and thought-provoking market research with unrivaled advisory services. Producing research on email, social, mobile, omnichannel and identity marketing; TRG research helps companies compete more effectively within the broader digital economy. TRG measures consumer and executive behaviors to develop strategies that optimize a return on marketing investments. All TRG Analysts have a minimum 15 years of experience in digital marketing. As a trusted advisor to leading organizations, TRG works with the largest vendors and brands as well as early stage companies where marketing and advertising intersects. TRG assists vendors in generating leads and developing a market presence. TRG produces dozens of surveys, research reports and webinars annually as well as publishes the digital magazine for marketers by marketers The Marketer Quarterly, subscribe for free at www.marketerquarterly.com
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/q4-e-commerce-study-reveals-us-consumers-are-using-email-more-than-ever-this-holiday-shopping-season-300381182.html
SOURCE Zeta Global