SAN JOSE, Calif., Oct. 18, 2012 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Qualcomm Technologies Inc. (QTI) today announced that its networking and connectivity subsidiary, Qualcomm Atheros Inc., has added a dozen new technology partners, demonstrating continued momentum of its Internet of Everything (IOE) global initiatives. The new agreements focus on Qualcomm Atheros' AR4100 and AR4100P Wi-Fi solutions, designed for machine-to-machine applications, and include collaborations with Future Electronics for distribution to customers in North America, Japan and Europe; RTX to develop custom modules, drivers and value-added software; and Card Access Engineering for development of custom driver and demo hardware.
Qualcomm Atheros' IOE portfolio features advanced, standards-based wired and wireless technologies that enable scalable IP infrastructure for smart energy, intelligent home, security, building automation, remote health and wellness monitoring, and a variety of other machine-to-machine (M2M) applications.
The Qualcomm Atheros AR4100 is a small form-factor, single-stream, 802.11n Wi-Fi system-in-package (SIP) device that enables manufacturers to reduce M2M system costs and simplify system design. The AR4100P is an enhanced version of the FCC-certified AR4100 that includes an integrated IPv4/IPv6 TCP/IP stack enabling lower system costs and easier technology adoption.
Spanning the areas of software, microcontrollers (MCUs), modules, design, manufacturing and distribution, Qualcomm Atheros' IOE partners now include:
- Freescale Semiconductor – Freescale, a provider of embedded processing solutions, offers AR4100 support on Freescale's Tower System, a modular development platform designed to reduce time-to-market through rapid prototyping and tool reuse. Qualcomm Atheros and Freescale have also cooperated on the Freescale SABRE tablet design, home health and energy management solutions.
- Energy Micro – Energy Micro develops energy friendly MCUs and RF, and provides the EFM32 Gecko MCU at the core of the complete QCASP137 low-power AR4100P WLAN development platform.
- H&D Wireless – Wi-Fi technology partner H&D Wireless offers off-the-shelf modules and custom design for the AR4100 and AR4100P, along with a variety of value-added software offerings available via global distribution.
- RTX – RTX, a partner to major enterprise, industrial and consumer-oriented OEMs, designs and manufactures standard and customer-specific wireless modules based on the AR4100.
- Spectrum – Spectrum, which helps customers smoothly transition to manufacturing RF technology, has experience with both hardware and software implementations of AR4100 devices.
- Card Access Engineering – Card Access Engineering, the first official Qualcomm Atheros Design Center, has developed custom driver and demo hardware for AR4100 devices. Card Access Engineering also exclusively offers Certi-FI, a Qualcomm- Atheros-approved FCC certification service for the AR4100 and AR4100P.
- Intelligraphics – Intelligraphics provides completed custom drivers and hardware designs for the AR4100 and AR4100P; customer ports include work on the MSP430 and the PIC MCUs from Microchip.
- IAR Systems – Qualcomm Atheros incorporates IAR Systems' compilers as part of the company's development kits for embedded systems.
- Future Electronics – Future Electronics is now a worldwide distributor for the AR4100, with a technical sales and support team that has been fully trained on AR4100 devices.
- Lian-Mueller (LME) – LME is an authorized distributor for all Qualcomm Atheros products including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, Ethernet, powerline and mobile product lines, including the AR4100P.
- Hi-Flying – Hi-Flying is located in China and offers custom modules based on the AR4100P, including a suite of value-added software that can be customized to customer requirements.
- Axios and Uniquest – Based in Korea, Axios and Uniquest distribute best-in-class technology solutions by the world's top manufacturers and suppliers. These partners offer Qualcomm Atheros products to their networks of customers.
"Utilities and consumers around the world continue to show growing interest in smart buildings and appliances as a strategy to reduce energy usage," said Adam Lapede, senior director of product management at Qualcomm Atheros. "By increasing our partnerships with key industry leaders, we are able to better address this increasing market demand with efficient and reliable M2M solutions in a wide array of segments across geographies, and drive faster M2M solution adoption."
Earlier this year, Qualcomm also launched M2MSearch.com, a searchable database that helps developers select the appropriate cellular and connectivity hardware for M2M devices. Visitors can see detailed technical specifications for more than 100 modules and gateways with embedded QTI and Qualcomm Atheros chipsets, and search for the appropriate device based on vendor name, modem/connectivity technology, operator certification and other features.
About Qualcomm Technologies Inc.
Qualcomm Technologies Inc. (QTI), a wholly owned subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM), is redefining the way people incorporate wireless devices and services into everyday life. QTI and its subsidiaries operate substantially all of Qualcomm's research and development activities, and product and services businesses, including Qualcomm's semiconductor business, QCT. QTI's developments enable opportunities across the wireless and wired value chains by making devices and networks faster, content richer and communications more personal and affordable to people everywhere. For more information, go to www.qualcomm.com.
Qualcomm is a registered trademark of Qualcomm Incorporated. Atheros is a registered trademark of Qualcomm Atheros Inc. All other registered and unregistered trademarks are the property of Qualcomm Incorporated, Qualcomm Atheros Inc., or their respective owners and used with permission. Registered marks owned by Qualcomm Incorporated and Qualcomm Atheros Inc. are registered in the United States and may be registered in other countries.
Qualcomm Contacts: Laurie Falconer, Qualcomm Atheros Phone: 1-408-616-3036 Email: email@example.com
Tina Asmar, Corporate Communications Phone: 1-858-845-5959 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Warren Kneeshaw, Investor Relations Phone: 1-858-658-4813 Email: email@example.com
SOURCE Qualcomm Atheros Inc.