Questions Grow as World Health Organization Raises Pandemic Alert for Swine Flu to Level Five
CDC Emphasizes Simple, Low-Cost, Tips to Help Families Stay Healthy
- Thoroughly wash your hands throughout the day with soap and water for 20 seconds (the time it takes to sing the "Happy Birthday" song twice), making sure to scrub underneath the nails and the back of the hands. If soap is not readily available, use a hand sanitizer.
- Disinfect commonly touched surfaces at both the beginning and end of the day to minimize the likelihood of spreading illnesses through contaminated surfaces.
- Teach your children to avoid touching their eyes, nose or mouths - commonly referred to as "the T zone." Germs can land on surfaces, be picked up on hands and easily spread by touching the face.
- Fully cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing and properly dispose of the tissue directly after you use it.
- If you are sick, stay home from school or work to prevent the spread of illness to others. Follow the advice of your school, office and local health experts and stay home on their recommendation.
Also make sure your family has a set emergency plan, such as a contingency plan if your school or day care is shut down and a supply of essential items in your home. This includes keeping a sensible supply of regularly-taken medicines, food, facemasks, disinfectants, alcohol-based hand rubs and other essential items on-hand. Many LYSOL(R) Disinfectant products are effective against strains of influenza A virus and specifically the H1N1 strain, including LYSOL(R) Disinfectant Spray, LYSOL(R) Disinfecting Wipes, LYSOL(R) All Purpose Cleaner Pourables and LYSOL(R) All Purpose Cleaner Triggers.
To find more information and resources to help protect your family during this critical time, visit:
- Centers for Disease Control - Swine Flu http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/swineflu_you.htm
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Ounce of Prevention initiative, created in partnership with LYSOL(R) www.cdc.gov/ounceofprevention
- World Health Organization http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/en/index.html
- Germ Protection Center via the Visiting Nurse Associations of America http://vnaa.org/vnaa/g/?h=html/germ_protection_center_influenza
- Lysol Germ Protection Center http://lysol.com/germ-information-center/swineflu/
About LYSOL(R)/ Reckitt Benckiser, Inc.
Reckitt Benckiser is the world leader in household cleaning, (excluding laundry) and has a major presence in health and personal care. The Company is truly global, with over 60 operating companies and over 40 manufacturing facilities worldwide. With sales in 180 countries, the Company employs 22,000 people around the world. Among the Company's leading brands in household are Lysol, the world leader in disinfecting cleaning; Calgonit, Finish and Electrasol; the world leaders in automatic dishwashing; Woolite, world leader in fine fabrics; Vanish and Spray 'n Wash, world leaders in fabric treatment; Mucinex and Delsym, leaders in U.S. cold and cough; and Airwick and Mortein, both leading brands in air care and pest control, respectively. Reckitt Benckiser is headquartered in
SOURCE Reckitt Benckiser
More by this Source
Air Wick® Launches New Collection in Support of the National Park Foundation
Apr 08, 2013, 09:09 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.