Range Networks Enhances Open Source Software with Data and Internet Capabilities OpenBTS-UMTS Upgrade Enables High-Speed Data Downloads and Internet Access
CAPE TOWN, South Africa, Nov. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- (CTICC, AfricaCom, Booth A2) – Range Networks, the leading U.S. provider of commercial open source cellular systems and creator of the OpenBTS software project, today announced the controlled release of a commercial 3G software upgrade for OpenBTS, permitting high-speed data on low-cost, easily deployed private networks.
- Enhanced features and increased accessibility – OpenBTS-UMTS is 3G compatible, allowing data throughput of 384 kbit/s per user. This enhanced data speed enables Internet access and use of mobile applications on 3G-enabled handsets.
- Meets global 3GPP standards – The enhancement is 3GPP-compliant (3rd Generation Partnership Project), operates on any of the 3GPP-defined UMTS frequencies and supports network and handset authentication.
- Available as a controlled release – OpenBTS-UMTS is suitable for early adopters and telecommunications labs interested in testing mobile applications.
Faith Sedlin, COO of Range Networks said:
"The release of OpenBTS-UMTS is a milestone in the development of single-core, low-cost and easy-to-implement cellular networks. Enabling high-speed data and Internet capabilities is a natural progression in our strategy to apply IP networking to mobile infrastructure, and we look forward to extending these services to rural populations."
Social Media Resources:
- Twitter Handle: @RangeNetworks
- LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/range-networks
About Range Networks
Range Networks is the future of cellular networks. Founded by the inventors of OpenBTS, the Company provides the only commercial open source cellular system. Range Networks' products are simple to deploy and manage at a fraction of the cost of alternative solutions. Based on open standards, Range Networks provides connectivity to existing 2G/3G and 4G networks to rural communities, remote outposts and emergency crews. Additional information is available at: www.rangenetworks.com
Nadel Phelan, Inc.
SOURCE Range Networks