ROCKVILLE, Md., March 24, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- At its first Demo Day on March 23, Relevant Health, a health technology startup accelerator in the Washington, DC metro area, hosted a group of more than 150 investors, industry leaders and top technology company representatives to experience first-hand the progress of the accelerator's seven health tech startups. Coming from Bethesda, Rockville, Washington, DC, Baltimore, New York City and Latvia, the startups are developing a wide range of health tech products and devices to meet the healthcare needs of a diverse patient population. The new accelerator is supported by BioHealth Innovation (BHI), ProductSavvy and Montgomery County Economic Development.
Relevant Health also announced yesterday its new line-up of investors, including: Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Maryland Department of Commerce, and the newly formed Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation, as well as other private angel investors.
"Our first graduating cohort from the first health tech accelerator in Montgomery County is a great success," stated Rich Bendis, BHI President and CEO. "The BHI-developed nationally competitive acceleration program has attracted seven high-quality startups that have dedicated the last five months to the Relevant Health program. We are very proud of their accomplishments. Additionally, we are very pleased with the caliber of investors that have taken a significant interest in Relevant Health."
Attendees at Demo Day filled the new cowork space in the Rockville Innovation Center—home to Relevant Health—to see the presentations from AgeWell Biometrics, Gastro Girl, Neopenda, CheeksUp, Lazy Corporation, GlucoseMama, and ErgonometriX. Highlights of Demo Day included:
- Agewell Biometrics has developed a predictive data analytics platform, which uses the sensors in wearable and mobile devices to determine risk of falling among seniors. The startup has initiated a multi-site pilot of its falls detection software that includes working with retired actors and film and video professionals who take part in the healthcare services from the Motion Picture & Television Fund.
- Gastro Girl has signed a licensing agreement with The MITRE Corporation to integrate MITRE's Patient Toolkit prototype with Gastro Girl's telehealth platform for dietitians and health coaches to better treat patients with chronic gastrointestinal symptoms and disorders.
- Global health company, Neopenda, has built a partnership with the Ugandan Pediatric Association to pilot its vital signs wearables in neonatal care units.
- CheeksUp has developed an interactive computer-guided system to support childhood speech therapy and has initiated collaboration with laboratories at Johns Hopkins University working on speech and facial nerve paralysis rehabilitation.
- Lazy Corporation's qualified registry is submitting quality measure data for hundreds of healthcare providers powered by its 'measure graph' warehouse.
- Werbie has developed, GlucoseMama, a digital therapeutic software system for self-managing gestational diabetes. They are set to be pilot tested with maternal fetal medicine departments in multiple hospitals, as well as extensive beta testing in private OBGYN practices.
- ErgonometriX has completed three successful pilot studies validating their machine learning algorithms for detecting lower back injury prevalence in workers.
About Relevant Health
Relevant Health is a health tech startup accelerator program. Admitted companies have access to a cowork facility in Rockville, Maryland and receive additional support that includes $50,000 in funding, software development support, mentorship and working in the local health tech ecosystem. Relevant Health is a partnership between BioHeaIth Innovation, Inc., ProductSavvy Consulting, and Montgomery County Economic Development. Learn more at www.relevanthealth.md.
About BioHealth Innovation, Inc.
BioHealth Innovation, Inc., is an innovation intermediary providing commercial assistance to scientists and founders, educating and infusing Maryland's biohealth community with new entrepreneurial firms. BHI's strategic partners come from industry, investment, academia, and government sector to support the development of emerging biohealth companies. Learn more at www.biohealthinnovation.org.
ProductSavvy is a Rockville-based product management company providing technical product support as co-manager in the accelerator. Learn more at www.productsavvy.com
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/relevant-health-holds-demo-day-for-its-inaugural-cohort-of-health-tech-startups-300241033.html
SOURCE Relevant Health