Routes Africa Awards Winners Announced!
MANCHESTER, England, July 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Kilimanjaro International Airport takes top spot in 4th regional heat of 2013
Last night during an impressive networking evening which took place on the stunning Lakeside Pool Lawns of the Speke Resort, which sits right on Lake Victoria, Uganda, Kilimanjaro International Airport was announced as winner of the African heat of this year's Routes Airport Marketing Awards. Over 300 aviation professionals were gathered to witness the presentation of the awards and to take part in the 8th Routes Africa - the largest route development event for the entire African region, which this year is hosted by the Civil Aviation Authority of Uganda and Entebbe International Airport.
"This has been one of the most amazing evenings for us at Kilimanjaro International Airport to win this award," said Christine Mwakatobe, Business Development Manager, Kilimanjaro Airports Development Company, after collecting the award, continuing: "We would like to thank all of the airlines that serve the airport for voting for us in this process and we are pledging our commitment that we will keep working hand-in-hand with all of our partners. Thank you for trusting in us and believing in us and giving us this wonderful opportunity to show the rest of Africa what we are doing at Kilimanjaro International Airport."
The Routes Airport Marketing Awards have become synonymous with recognising and rewarding the highest standards of marketing activities undertaken by airports. The 2013 awards will see a number of innovations including taking a blended approach to the nomination process, meaning the final nominees will include a number of airports who will be shortlisted using our online voting form together with a number of airports who have been selected by a panel of industry experts drawn from the airline network planning community. This year the awards were split into two categories based on the size of the airport and also a new tourism award for best destination marketing campaign by a tourism authority.
"We would like to congratulate all of the winners and highly commended airports and tourism authorities in this regional heat of the 2013 awards. Kilimanjaro International Airport has delivered true route development results," said Nigel Mayes VP Commercial - Routes, UBM Live explaining: "Launching three new international airlines, Qatar Airways, Kenya Airways and Turkish Airlines, in the last year is a fantastic achievement along with delivering on a clear air service development strategy which was set out three years ago."
Kilmanjaro were also named as the winner from the Under 4 Million Passengers category with Nairobi - Jomo Kenyatta International Airport ranked top from the Over 4 Million Passengers category and the Destination Marketing Award went to Seychelles Tourism Board.
The full list of companies shortlisted under each award category were as follows:
Over 4 Million Passengers
- Nairobi - Jomo Kenyatta International Airport - Winner
- Casablanca - Mohammed V International Airport - Highly Commended
- Addis Ababa - Bole International Airport
- Algiers - Houari Boumediene Airport
- Cairo International Airport
Under 4 Million Passengers
- Kilimanjaro International Airport - Winner & Overall Winner
- Dar es Salaam - Julius Nyerere International Airport - Highly Commended
- Accra - Kotoka International Airport
- Luanda - Quatro de Fevereiro Airport
- Maputo International Airport
Destination Marketing Award
- Seychelles Tourism Board - Winner
- Tourism KwaZulu-Natal - Highly Commended
- Mozambique Tourism Authority
- Zambia Tourism Board
- Zimbabwe Tourism Authority
As overall winner of this regional heat, Kilimanjaro International Airport will be automatically shortlisted for the World Routes Airport Marketing Awards which will take place at the event in Las Vegas, 5-8 October 2013. Kilimanjaro join San Diego International Airport, Changi Airport Group and Munich Airport who were announced as overall winners of the Americas, Asia and Europe heats respectively, earlier in the year.
Notes to Editors
- Routes organises world-renowned airline and airport networking events through its regional and global Route Development Forums. Each year, there is one global event and one regional event in Asia, Africa, Europe, the Americas and CIS respectively. http://www.routesonline.com
- Routes was founded in 1995 as part of the Manchester UK‐based ASM Ltd., a consultancy specialising in the field of route development for airports. http://www.asm‐global.com
- Routes and ASM were acquired by UBM Aviation Worldwide Ltd in August 2010. From 1st August 2012 Routes, ASM and the Airport Cities Conference and Exhibition become part of the UBM Live division of UBM plc.
- UBM Live connects people and creates opportunities for companies across five continents to develop new business, meet customers, launch new products, promote their brands and expand their markets. Through premiere brands such as MD&M, CPhI, IFSEC, TFM&A, Cruise Shipping Miami, the Concrete Show, the Routes portfolio of events, Airport Cities and many others, UBM Live exhibitions, conferences, awards programs, publications, websites and training and certification programs are an integral part of the marketing plans of companies across more than 20 industry sectors. http://www.ubmlive.com
Follow us on twitter: @Routesonline, @TheHUBRoutes, @VictoriaRoutes, @NLPROU, @airlineroute
SOURCE UBM Live Routes Ltd