SC Johnson Honored for Commitment to Improve Air Quality
SC Johnson Credited for Voluntary Efforts to Improve Air Quality by Wisconsin Partners for Clean Air
RACINE, Wis., May 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- SC Johnson was honored by the Wisconsin Partners for Clean Air (WPCA), a coalition of more than 250 Wisconsin-based businesses, community organizations, schools and government agencies, for their voluntary efforts to improve air quality. The awards were presented during the 2013 Clean Air Extravaganza at the new UWM Joseph J. Zilber School of Public Health on Thursday, May 23.
"At SC Johnson, we are proud to be a leader in clean energy solutions for the work we do in our home state of Wisconsin and beyond," said Kelly M. Semrau, Senior Vice President of Global Corporate Affairs, Communication and Sustainability at SC Johnson. "The completion of our wind turbine manufacturing project at our largest manufacturing facility helps improve Wisconsin's air quality because we're able to operate with on average 100 percent on-site generated electricity. This is another example of our commitment to ongoing development of sustainable manufacturing and we're honored to be recognized by the Wisconsin Partners for Clean Air for this initiative."
The Clean Air Extravaganza is an event to celebrate the accomplishments of Wisconsin businesses and organizations that are improving air quality by reducing emissions from their facilities and fleets, improving energy efficiency, providing employee commuter options and developing ways to educate the public about air quality issues.
A History of Environmental Leadership
SC Johnson has a long history of environmental leadership. Examples include:
- Further minimized the company's dependence on fossil fuels by installing two 415-foot-tall wind turbines – the first of their kind in the state – to help power the company's largest global manufacturing facility, allowing it to produce an average of 100 percent of electrical energy onsite;
- Added three SWIFT mini wind turbines to the roof of the SC Johnson sales office in Lowell, Ark., which are capable of generating as much as 3,600 kWh of electricity annually and keeping 2.5 metric tons of GHGs out of the atmosphere;
- Increased renewable energy by 65 percent and decreased greenhouse gas emissions by more than 50 percent at the company's Mexico facility;
- Expanded the U.S. concentrated cleaner refill lineup to five of the company's popular brands, which could contribute to saving millions of pounds of plastic from ending up in landfills nationwide; and
- Last year, launched the SC Johnson Sustainable Behavior Change Program – a five-year research project to identify what drives behavior change around sustainable actions – and the Green Choices Recycling Challenge to encourage recycling in 50 communities across the country.
Visit cleanairwisconsin.org for more information on the WPCA. To learn more about SC Johnson and the company's commitment to sustainability, visit SCJohnson.com, follow @SCJGreenChoices or access the 2012 Sustainability Report at SCJohnson.com/report
About Wisconsin Partners for Clean Air
The Wisconsin Partners for Clean Air (WPCA) program is a coalition of over 250 businesses, community organizations, schools and government agencies committed to improving air quality through voluntary action. Leaders in Wisconsin founded the WPCA in 1996 when six counties in southeastern Wisconsin were recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as having one of the most severe ground-level ozone problems in the U.S.
Today, WPCA continues to educate Wisconsin businesses and residents on air quality issues as Wisconsin's air quality continues to improve. To learn more, please visit http://www.cleanairwisconsin.org
About SC Johnson
SC Johnson is a family company dedicated to innovative, high-quality products, excellence in the workplace and a long-term commitment to the environment and the communities in which it operates. Based in the USA, the company is one of the world's leading manufacturers of household cleaning products and products for home storage, air care, pest control and shoe care. It markets such well-known brands as GLADE®, KIWI®, OFF!®, PLEDGE®, RAID®, SCRUBBING BUBBLES®, SHOUT®, WINDEX® and ZIPLOC® in the U.S. and beyond, with brands marketed outside the U.S. including AUTAN®, TANA®, BAMA®, BAYGON®, BRISE®, KABIKILLER®, KLEAR®, MR. MUSCLE®, and RIDSECT®. The 127-year-old company, that generates $9 billion in sales, employs nearly 13,000 people globally and sells products in virtually every country around the world. www.scjohnson.com
SOURCE SC Johnson